1. Capricornus Junior Member

Lima
    Spanish
    Hola,

Como se dice "estoy consultando con el técnico acerca del problema" ?

I am consulting with the technitian about the issue?

Gracias de antemano,

2. el_empollon Senior Member

Vancouver, Canada
    Spain Spanish/English
    Me suena bien, sólo cambiaría "technitian" por "technician".

¡Un saludo!

3. asm Senior Member

New England, USA
    Mexico, Spanish
    Perdon por meter mi cuchara, pero yo diria: estoy consultando al tecnico. I am consulting the technician about ...

Claro que en gustos se rompen generos

4. Kaia

Kaia Senior Member

Argentina -Spanish/English/Italian
    Hola asm, yo también hubiera dicho "al" pero ahora me quedo con la duda de si eso es correcto. Busqué en el diccionario El Mundo y encontré este ejemplo >
    tr. Pedir una opinión o consejo sobre un asunto: tendré que consultarlo con el director.

5. Capricornus Junior Member

Lima
    Spanish
    Es esa partecita q no encuentro.
    No se si se debería decir consulting with him, consulting to him o simplemente consulting him.
    Ayuda??
    Gracias.

6. Kaia

Kaia Senior Member

Consult someone about something > If the pain continues, consult your doctor (to go to someone to get some information or advice)

Consult (with) someone about /on something > I need to consult (with) my colleagues on the proposal ( discuss something with somebody to get their permission/ to help you make a decision)

Consult something > Consult with your dictionary (= refer to)

Dependiendo en la idea que quieras dar a tu oración, deberás escoger una de estas tres alternativas.

Consult to someone > wrong! Podés usar cualquiera de las otras dos que has mencionado en tu mensaje.

Saludos,
    K.

7. GiggLiden

GiggLiden Senior Member

US
    You were doing fine until you hit into ...
    Consult something > Consult with your dictionary (= refer to)

I've never heard of a talking dictionary, so it's not likely that the dict. will do much consulting with YOU! Takes TWO to tango.

"Consulting" is a little high-falutin' when referring to a dict. Why not just let it fly as ... "check your dictionary" ?

Saludos
    :)

8. Kaia

Kaia Senior Member

GiggLiden > What about "check with your dictionary"?

BTW > Oxford Dictionary offers this example > "He consulted the manual" > What do you think of this example GiggLiden? Maybe manuals are "talking manuals". I've consulted with talking dictionaries in fact.

Saludos, K ;)

9. jdenson

jdenson Senior Member

Houston, Texas
    USA / English
    One consults a book, a manual, a list, etc., and consults or consults with a person.

JD

10. Kaia

Kaia Senior Member

JD, so Oxford Dictionary is mistaken? I'm sorry to seem "a pain...." but it's the only way I can learn. By my dictionary and by asking you. Thank you!

11. mhp Senior Member

American English
    Totally agree.

12. jdenson

jdenson Senior Member

Houston, Texas
    USA / English
    I like "consult the dictionary", but then I do have a fondness for high-falutin' words.

JD

13. mhp Senior Member

American English
    Here is what my oxford dictionary has to say

1 (expert / colleague / dictionary / watch) if symptoms persist, consult a doctor, we were not consulted about the office move
    2 (consider) (frml) ‹ feelings / interests › tener* en consideración, considerar

consult vi: they consulted and decided to leave; I ought to consult with my wife first

14. adremd Senior Member

USA
    kaia,
    That phrases is possible, I guess. I mean, if I were watching a movie and the professor said, "Consult with your dictionary before...," I would understand what s/he means. This usage isn't common by any means, at least around my neck of the woods. Don't be surprised if you get strange looks when you use it. :)

15. Kaia

Kaia Senior Member

Well, I was just stating what my hardback Oxford says. Maybe it's old-fashioned. ;)

16. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Hola Kaia,

Esto es lo que has escrito: "Oxford Dictionary offers this example > "He consulted the manual"

Sin "with".

I consult my lawyer, I consult with my colleagues, and I consult a reference work, such as a dictionary. I never consult with a book.

Other, more common ways to express the same idea:

Check your dictionary.
    I am discussing the issue with the technician.
    I am verifying the status with the experts.

There is a danger in translating 'una consulta' as 'a consultation'. In Spanish, when someone requests "una consulta", it's not the same as "a consultation" in ordinary spoken English, at least the AE variety. It's generally a discussion that's being requested, or the opportunity to address a question to someone. In English, a consultation is more formal, and often of a higher register.

17. Kaia

Kaia Senior Member

You are right Cuchuflete. I appreciate your explanation as well as that of the rest of the members. I think I got confused (and mixed up) with "check with" and "consult with".
    Regards, K :)

18. Terry Mount Senior Member

U S A
    Creo que Cuchuflete ya ha contestado bien...y yo lo veo así:

Puedes "consult" o "consult with" personas.

I will consult my doctor.
    Please don't make a decision before consulting (with) me.

Pero si es un libro, será simplemente "consult."

Parece que el uso de "with" indica cierto intercambio de ideas u opiniones...o preguntas-respuestas.

19. Capricornus Junior Member

Lima
    Spanish
    Señores,
    Muchas gracias por sus aportes. Ya me quedó claro :)

20. GiggLiden

GiggLiden Senior Member

US
    I have NO problem with ... consulting a dictionary, or checking a dictionary or even ......... looking it UP in the dictionary.

The only one that I gag on is "consult WITH a dictionary." That implies TWO ACTIVE parties doing the consulting.