Hacer una llamada perdida

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by NavyBlue, Jan 8, 2005.

1. NavyBlue

NavyBlue Senior Member

Spain/Spanish
    Hi all,

I would like to know how to translate the following expression into English:

"Hacer una llamada perdida"

Nowadays it is very common to use mobile phones as a way of sending signals to other people. You just call someone and let the phone ring twice before you hang up and the recipient sees your name on the display and knows about an agreed situation.

For example:

"Cuando termine la reunión, hazme una llamada perdida (al móvil) e iré a recogerte a la oficina".

Thank you so much in advance.

2. Masood Senior Member

Leicester, England
    British English
    "Hacer una llamada perdida"=to give a missed call
    "Cuando termine la reunión, hazme una llamada perdida (al móvil) e iré a recogerte a la oficina".
    When the meeting finishes, give me a missed call and I'll pick you up at the office.

3. jacinta Senior Member

California
    USA English
    En los EE.UU., no pienso que tenemos una palabra por una "llamada perdida" pero no estoy segura. Yo lo diria, "Dame un señal por telefono." Send me a phone signal. No he oido decir "a missed call", solo cuando no estoy en casa y no recibo una llamada. A ver, tal vez voy a aprender algo...

4. Leopold

Leopold Senior Member

Barcelona
    es-ES
    My cell phone says "missed call" when i set it into English... But maybe "signal" is the translation for "toque"...

L.

5. EVAVIGIL

EVAVIGIL Senior Member

Madrid
    Spain / Spanish
    In English phones, "llamada perdida" is "missed call".
    What about 'Call me on my mobile, and I won't answer'?
    EVA.

6. Masood Senior Member

Leicester, England
    British English
    Hi Eva,

That sounds a bit confusing to me and could be misunderstood. "give a missed call" is well used over here.
    We also say 'give a missed call' when we want to swap mobile numbers with each other. The missed call (number) can then be saved in the memory of the receiving mobile.

Masood.

7. EVAVIGIL

EVAVIGIL Senior Member

Madrid
    Spain / Spanish
    You are right, Masood, I was just trying to explain things and missed the point!
    Anyway, we agree on the "missed call" issue!
    Cheers from Madrid!
    EVA.

8. dave

dave Senior Member

London
    UK - English
    I've never heard the term "to give a missed call", but then I'm not much of a mobile phone user. Traditionally we would say "to give two rings" (or however many rings you have agreed as the signal):

- When the meeting finishes give me two rings and I'll come and pick you up from the office.

- Drive carefully mum. Give me two rings when you get in to let me know you've got home safely.

Anyway, I've now learnt a new expression in my own language - thanks Masood!

9. palomdra

palomdra Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    Here in the south we do not usually say "dame una perdida", but "dame un toque". It means the same, but if we say "llamada perdida", we understand that someone was actually trying to phone us, but "un toque" only means that someone rang you with NO intention of talking to you. Young people, specially teenagers, do it just to let the other person know they are thinking about them. Do British teenagers not do anything like this?

10. jacinta Senior Member

California
    USA English
    This is a whole new ball of wax, as they say in English, something we old folks have to get used to: the cellular society I find it disturbing that I walk down the street and see every other person with a phone attached to his ear! Invariably a cell phone goes off in a meeting, even with signs saying, "Please turn off cell phones".
    I will stop now. At first, I thought they were a great invention. I'm thinking now that they are a nuisance.

11. NavyBlue

NavyBlue Senior Member

Spain/Spanish
    I used to think the same until my car got stuck in mud in the middle of nowhere and I had to call for help.
    As usual, there is a difference between use and abuse. "Mum, I'm getting on the train", "Mum, we'll arrive in an hour", "Mum, I'm getting off the train"... ¬¬

12. jacinta Senior Member

California
    USA English

Oh, don't get me wrong! No me comprendes mal?? (Dime, por favor). I agree with you in that they are a lifesaver in emergency situations and for kids to let their parents know where they are. I think they are abused more than used, though :( . That's all. No quiero perder el hilo.

Saludos

13. el_novato

el_novato Senior Member

por favor no me comprendas mal

14. el_novato

el_novato Senior Member

Es lo que hago en ocasiones, o solo pido un toque (que hagan una llamada, pero que timbre una vez).

15. palomdra

palomdra Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    ¿Qué significa "no quiero perder el hilo?" :confused:

16. mogu

mogu Junior Member

Mi huertecica
    Spain/spanish
    Perder el sentido original del post , cambiar de tema. Es lo que yo he oido mucho como "desvirtuar un thread"

17. el_novato

el_novato Senior Member

De tus paisanos de la RAE

perder el hilo.
    fr. Olvidarse, en la conversación o el discurso, de aquello que se estaba exponiendo.

Biblioteca de Consulta Microsoft® Encarta® 2005. © 1993-2004 Microsoft Corporation. Reservados todos los derechos.

18. palomdra

palomdra Senior Member

Spain
    Spanish
    ¡Gracias a los dos!