1. Thank you Senior Member

English - U.S.A.
    Hi all,

I am listening to the radio, and one specific caller reminds me of a pronunciation that I hear of "haya." Phonetically, the best I can do to spell it out would be "haiga."

Could anyone tell me whether this is ever acceptable, and if so, which countries consider it an alternate form of haya? Even if it is not grammatically correct, is it considered more colloquial than saying "haya" in certain areas?

Thanks so much for your help!

Take care.
  2. .Dreamer. Junior Member

Castellano - Argentina
    Hello there! I think "haiga" is used in Spain as a synonym for "haya". Let's wait for a Spanish user, maybe they know better than me. In Argentina it's not used.. We always say "haya".

3. Csalrais

Csalrais Senior Member

Spanish - Spain
    No, no lo es. Quien usase "haiga" en España fuera de un contexto humorístico o imitando a alguien sería visto como ignorante o analfabeto (o las dos cosas combinadas). Además de eso, en el DPD no ponen que sea un error específico de ningún lugar.
  4. Remade New Member

"haiga" is considered as not correct and a bit rude.

The right words are:
    "haya" which is the subjunctive of verb"haber". Example: el que hayas llegado tarde no es asunto mío.
    It is also the name of a tree: beech.

"halla" comes from the verb "hallar",which means "find" or also "feel at ease".

I hope this tip can help you
  5. .Dreamer. Junior Member

Castellano - Argentina
    Sorry for my mistake, in some Spanish forums I participate in, a lot of people said "haiga" insted of "haya", so I thought it might have been an informal form of "haya".
    I hope I didn't make you even more confused with that, it wasn't on purpose.
    (That's why I said, let's wait for a spanish member)

6. Dostoyevsky New Member

Lima - Perú
    Haiga is the word for rude people, rural people.
    Just pay me attention, HAIGA is a horrible word, at least here in Perú.

Before they used the HAIGA word, but not anymore.

Nowadays the correct form to say is just HAYA.
    Here in Perú, there is a very important linguist woman called Martha Hildebrant, everybody knows who she is... And she say :

"As for my experience and personal attitud about the use of the haiga word in the peruvian speaking, I can understand it in the idiolect of a worker leader, who became in a republic senator. (Frequently, workers leaders are ignorant people -at least here in Perú)

Also, I can understand the use of the haiga word from a textil worker, who made himself terrorist and died into his ideology. (Of course terrorists and textil workers are extremely ignorant people) And maybe I should explain myself having heard haiga instead of haya from an bilingual economist, who arrived to the most highest level in the peruvian politic."

Here another point of view from Martha Hildebrant:

"There was an rude peruvian indian who traveled to America to make money, and he did it. When he returned to Perú, he made a lot of money but he didn´t care about his education.
    He started to walk around all the cars stores searching the most expensive car saying : "Yo quiero el carro mas costoso que haiga..."

"In spain, people was calling sarcastically Haiga to the car model that this peruvian indian bought. "

Just, try to use HAYA instead of HAIGA.
  7. Thank you Senior Member

English - U.S.A.
    I thank you for each response. This turned into an interesting thread. I am particularly grateful for the added tidbit about the birch tree. Fascinating commentary!

Thank you all for contributing so much and answering my query.
  8. Remade New Member

Thank you, I think we are talking about different trees. The beech tree, which I have mentioned as a translation of "haya" and the birch tree, which you mention as a translation of "abedul"

I hoped this would be of any help.

Please, correct my mistakes.
  9. harrieth New Member

English - UK
    I know this thread is quite old but just to add my experience...

I live in rural Colombia and I hear "haiga" for "haya" all the time. It doesn't seem to be stigmatized or rude, more colloquial.

Don't know how useful this is, but there you go
  10. Aviador

Aviador Senior Member

Santiago de Chile (a veces)
    Castellano de Chile
    Haiga is a non-standard form of haya heard in most of the Spanish speaking countries, if not everywhere, but only used by less educated speakers, specially in rural areas.
    The stigmatization of this rustic conjugation depends, of course, on the context, on who hears that. Probably, in a remote rural area most speakers would not care because they use it themselves, but it will be certainly criticized if said in a more educated environment.
  11. micafe

micafe Senior Member

United States
    Spanish - Colombia
    It's a common mistake made by ignorant and uneducated people.

Foreign students should never use it, it's like when many people here in the US say things like "We had went to our house" or "she has tooken the pen"... and many others.,

12. Rubns

Rubns Senior Member

Español - Spanish (Spain)
    It's used in rural Spain too and I agree with micafe, it should be avoided, at least if you want to speak proper Spanish.
  13. EddieZumac

EddieZumac Senior Member

Mexico City
    Your story is a variation of one which I heard many, many years ago. A Spanish peasant goes to the US and comes back with a car. He says "En America, haiga o no haiga, todo el mundo tiene auto. Desde entonces, en España, se le llamó haiga a un coche americano lujoso.
  14. Keahi Senior Member

castellano, Perú
    En Perú es muy raro escuchar esto. Antes se escuchaba, pero a inicios de los ochenta una publicidad en radio y televisión desterró casi del todo este error.
    "Haya o no haya caspa usa..." algo así decía el anuncio, se hizo enormemente popular, se repetía en todas partes.
    El anuncio consiguió lo que los profesores no podían, llegar a niños y adultos, a todos a la vez.
    No recuerdo el nombre del champú sino lo pondría a modo de agradecimiento.
    Un saludo.