1. MarX Banned

Indonesian, Indonesia
    Otras palabras castellanas donde la H- se puede aspirar son derivadas de la F- latina:

huir <--- fugiire (Lat. vulgar)
    hondo <--- fondo/fondus
    huelga <-- holgar <---- follicaare
    harto <---- farto/fartus
    hediondo <-- heder <----- foeteere

Halar parece ser una excepción. Se deriva del francés haler, que tiene su origen en un idioma germánico (compará halen en holandés, holen en alemán).

O la prestaron los castellanos directamente de los germanos (godos)?
    Ne sé si es relacionado, pero se escribe hola con H- porque se deriva también de los germanos?

You can also answer in English or any other language I know :D

2. Probo Senior Member

Galicia. España
    Hola: El caso de "hondo" es muy significativo, pero, al menos, hondo y jondo tienen el mismo significado. Es decir, la diferencia de pronunciación no ha derivado en diferencia de significado; en cambio huelga y juerga, con una curiosa variante del sonido /l/, han llegado a desarrollar significados muy distintos. Tal vez esté relacionado con esta cuestión el gentilicio de los nacidos en Haro (La Rioja): "jarreños". Saludos.
  3. tom_in_bahia Senior Member

Teixeira de Freitas, BA, Brasil
    South Florida/Phoenix-Tucson/the Adirondacks. Native of North American English
    Well, the origin of hello doesn't seem to go back very far on www.etymonline.com...

ola' is Portuguese for hola, where the h was dropped (as most Portuguese initial hs are not present) and the stressed swapped syllables.

ahoj is Czech for hello (/'ahoj/).

Not sure what the origin is of "hola". Hello in English is supposedly linked to an older word for stop. Allo^ is French (where the circumflex is on the "o"). That sounds logical (the stop link, I mean) because if you think about it, anywhere you traveled, if you saw someone you wished to speak with, they would have to "stop". And since that would be one of the few words to be necessary for a commerce pidgin to develop, it would be logical that traders everywhere would spread a similar sounding word for a concept universally needed throughout Europe...interesting idea.
  4. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    According to this dictionary, French allô is a loan from English hello going back to the 19th century, but this surprises me.

Spanish hola and Portuguese olá are certainly much older than the 19th century. I remember seeing the latter, in the form houlá, in one of Gil Vicente's plays (16th century). I'm surprised that French allô is not related to these words.

I think it was in these forums that I once read, but I can't find where exactly, that their etymology was something like ó lá, "hey there".

MarX, concerning your question more specifically, I would guess that the reason why hola is written with an initial h is simply because this is costumary in interjections. I would not assume that it's because the h was once pronounced.
  5. jazyk Senior Member

Brno, Česká republika
    Brazílie, portugalština
    Or to differentiate it from Spanish ola, wave, but this isn't a good argument, since all languages have homonyms, homophones and homosexuals :D.
  6. MarX Banned

Indonesian, Indonesia
    You're totally right! :p

Hola reminds me to the word Holla! used in (American) English. Are they perhaps related?
  7. chics

chics Senior Member

Catalan - Spanish
    Hello. :D

In Catalan we also say hola. We also put h in lots of interjections (oh! ah! he, he...) but we keep latin f sound in all words like:
    huir <--- fugiire (Lat. vulgar) -- fugir
    hondo <--- fondo/fondus
    -- fons
    harto <---- farto/fartus -- fart

I think that halar/jalar comes from Gitan.
  8. tom_in_bahia Senior Member

Teixeira de Freitas, BA, Brasil
    South Florida/Phoenix-Tucson/the Adirondacks. Native of North American English
    well, I would consider "ó lá" to be a very folk etymology for a word that is a cognate of Spanish "hola". I'm also shocked by the claim that allô comes from English...hmmm.

The reason for such close proximity in many European languages could be the simple fact of borrowing, because, in historical linguistics, it is known that langauges, even those with different backgrounds, have been borrowing and adapting the sounds of new words for as long as different speakers have come into contact with one another.
  9. Outsider Senior Member

Portuguese (Portugal)
    Why is that?
  10. Frank06

Frank06 Senior Member

Nederlands / Dutch (Belgium)

For what it is worth (I'll leave out some details).

- hallo (Dutch)
    Van Dale (Dutch dictionary): maybe from Eng. halloo (to halloo to incite dogs, to hallow) < OEng. hallowen < OFr. halloer < Germanic halen, to get, collect, etc. (The dictionary is unclear about the Gmc. form).

- allô (French)
    Rey (French dictionary): "emprunt à l'interjection anglaise des États-Unies hallo, hello". The English word could come from an older form hollo < holla "cri pour attirer l'attention". No further explanation found.
    Rey gives another possibility: a denasalised allons (let's go, start).

- hallo (German)
    Kluge (German) is quite firm: it's the imperative of halo:n, holo:n (Modern holen). NB: the o: = long o, o + makron.

- holen
    Kluge again: from West-Germanic *hal-o:-, with the variant *hul-o:-
    Also found back in Old French halia, Old English geholian.
    From PIE *kla-l, kale: shout.

- holla
    More Kluge: "Entsprechend zu hallo gemäss der Variante ahd. holo:n neben ha:lon."

- olá (Portuguese)
    Da Cunha (Portuguese): "vocábulo de origem expressiva".

- holla (English)
    Oxford let us know: shout to excite attention, Fr. holà, i.e. ho + (there). [See Outsider's post]

- ho (English)
    Still Oxford: exclamation to attract attention, not recorded in Old English. Two candidates: Old Norse (and hoá) or Old French ho (stop).

Pick out your favourite ;-).

11. Maroseika Moderator

Is it possible that "hello" is connected with "halt/hold"? The idea of attracting attention, of the appeal to stop for a talk seems to me rather interesting.