1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

half expecting

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by west ham, Apr 29, 2011.

1. west ham Junior Member

London
    Italian
    Hello there
    I just want to ask you all if the translation into italian of "half expecting" in this sentence gives the original idea:
    "To tell the truth Maggie Brown had been half expecting them ever since leaving Windsor".[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]"A dire il vero Maggie Brown era sempre stata sul punto di aspettarseli da quando aveva lasciato Windsor".
    Am not quite sure if "era sempre stata sul punto di aspettarseli" could be an honest translation for "have been half expecting them ever".
    Cheers
    [/FONT]

2. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Montreal
    Canada, English
    Half expecting is very soft. It's not a surprise if it happens, but it's definitely not a certainty.

3. west ham Junior Member

London
    Italian
    Yeah I got that. I'm just asking if my translation of that expression keeps the original idea.

4. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Montreal
    Canada, English
    Sorry that's what I meant, that "sempre sul punto di aspettarseli" is probably too strong for half expecting. I was half expecting to see you means I'm not surprised to see you but I wasn't really thinking you would come. Perhaps your translation works here, but to me it's more that she knew there was a possiblity they would show up.

5. west ham Junior Member

London
    Italian
    Dunno, to be earnest XD..can't think of anything else for the moment. Cheers for your opinion anyway

6. Skin Senior Member

Italian
    Che ne dici di:

"...quasi se li aspettava da quando..."

Ciao

7. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    Il contesto qual è? Non riesco a dare un senso compiuto alla frase.;) Mi sarei aspettata di vedere un infinito dopo "half expecting", tipo:

She had been half expecting them to come : quasi quasi si aspettava di vederli arrivare.

8. rrose17

rrose17 Senior Member

Montreal
    Canada, English
    LC I know what you mean but you could say "I was expecting them yesterday and they only showed up today." No?

9. london calling Senior Member

SALERNO, ITALY
    UK ENGLISH
    Yes, it works in a sentence like yours.:) I still find the original sentence a bit odd, as though something were missing. I think I'd add a verb to the Italian rendition (as I did in the other sentence I posted above):

A dire il vero, era proprio dal momento in cui aveva lasciato/era partita da Windsor che MB si aspettava, o quasi, di vederli arrivare.

Do you think that gets the idea across?

10. CPA Senior Member

Rome
    British English/Italian biling
    A dire il vero, Maggie quasi quasi li aspettava fin da quando aveva lasciato Windsor.

11. panzona

panzona Senior Member

I think a very common collocation in Italian is in this case "in un certo senso", or even better "per certi versi".

"A dire il vero, MB per certi versi (se) li aspettava (aspettava che venissero, che comparissero) fin da quando aveva lasciato W."

"A dire il vero, per certi versi MB li aspettava fin da quando aveva lasciato W."

:)