Hallo vs. Hello

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by paogiu81, Jan 10, 2009.

1. paogiu81 New Member

Sicily, Italy
    italian
    Does anybody know the difference?

2. MünchnerFax

MünchnerFax Senior Member

Germany
    Italian, Italy
  3. Rob625

Rob625 Senior Member

Murlo (SI)
    English - England
    But 'hello' is more common than 'hallo' in BE. I would say it is the standard form, in both AE and BE.

There is also 'hullo'.

If in doubt, stick to 'hello'.

4. Scopa Nuova Senior Member

Texas, USA
    USA, English
    There seems to be many forms of this word, some of which have a little different meaning. In AE we use "hello" most of the time for a greeting on the telephone or forms of meeting.

Halloo, hallo, halloa, hillo, hilloa and hullo are other forms of the word that are also used in a greeting or to express surprise I think mostly in BE, but wait for the Brits and/or Aussies to confirm that. ;):D

SN

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  5. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    According to this website:

"Hello", it is claimed, pre-dated the invention of the phone, and had come into regular literary use by the 1860s. "Hullo" pre-dated it, being used as a greeting or expression of surprise,.. It's now fallen into much less use, but is found still in British English. "Hallo" was the hunting call, and goes as far back as Shakespeare's Coriolanus (as in "halloo") and as far forward as Enid Blyton and its comic French format "'allo 'allo".

6. dfeinman New Member

American English
    I just recently came into the same confrontation with this 'Hallo' version of hello. It comes from German, spelled with an 'a' and I suppose this form was used originally and eventually the more phonetic 'hello' version (for English, at least) came into use. Hallo is found in literature still, Joyce uses it often.