han estado / estuvieron enamorados alguna vez

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Grammar / Gramática Español-Inglés' started by melpo, May 2, 2013.

1. melpo New Member

Greek
    Good afternoon,
    I've got a sentence and I think that the verb estar must be used. But what about the tense? Can you help? Here's is the sentence:
    Τu crees que mi tia y mi tio han estado/estuvieron enamorados alguna vez? Which answer is correct han estado, estuvieron or subjuntivo perhaps?
    Thank you for your help.

2. SolAguila

SolAguila Senior Member

India
    Bengali-India
    I would go subjunctive... ¿tú crees que mi tía y mi tío estuviesen enamorados alguna vez?
    Let's wait.

3. blasita

blasita Senior Member

Spanish - Spain (Madrid)
    Hello.

Yes, estar. The indicative is common in this case: ¿(Tú) Crees que mi tía y mi tío han estado/estuvieron enamorados alguna vez? With no context, which is always necessary, this is what I'd use and I'd prefer han estado or han podido estar. The subjunctive would be correct too depending on context.

I asked the RAE about something similar and I quote part of their reply to my question. This comes from this other thread.

Hope it helps. Saludos.

4. Bark

Bark Senior Member

London (UK)
    Español de España
    I don't agree. Although, as blasita pointed, the subjunctive is correct, I would go with the indicative. Regarding which particular tense, both are correct; "estuvieron" sounds further back in the past than "han estado". I would use "estuvieron" if either of them is dead or if I want to point that, if they were in love, it was really long ago.

EDIT: I stand corrected. Subjunctive appears to be correct although rarely used.

Regards,

Bark

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  5. blasita

blasita Senior Member

Spanish - Spain (Madrid)
    Yes, as Bark says, the subjuntive is rarely used in these cases in Spain. It certainly wouldn't be my choice.

6. melpo New Member

Greek
    Thank you. It's all clear now.