1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

hand/ bunch of bananas

Discussion in 'English Only' started by cherry2123, May 7, 2010.

1. cherry2123 New Member

Vietnamese
    Hi there,

I have a question and would like to ask you.

Banana fruit grow in hanging clusters, with up to 20 fruits to a tier. Some calls this tier "hand" and some "bunch".

How about you? What partitive do you guys use?

Many thanks

2. mplsray Senior Member

Bunch. I had never hear of "hand of bananas" before this thread.

3. I have heard that the expression "hand of bananas" exists, but I have never heard anyone actually say it.

4. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    I know they're hands because I spent some time photographing them and learning a little about them, but no one I know uses any term but bunch, including me.

Welcome to the forum... pull up a banana and make yourself at home. :)

5. Loob

Loob Senior Member

English UK
    Ditto.

Welcome from me too, cherry:)

6. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    And ditto from me too.

Welcome, Cherry:)

7. cherry2123 New Member

Vietnamese
    So glad to be warmly welcomed as such :)
    Thank you all!

Those use "hand of bananas" explain that each banana can be called a finger, so a cluster "hand".

I've found this,

"Bananas are mature about three months from the time of flowering, with each bunch producing about 15 "hands" or rows. Each hand has about 20 bananas while each bunch will yield about 200 "fingers" or bananas. An average bunch of bananas can weigh between 80 and 125 pounds (35 to 50 kilograms)."

Here, both hands and fingers are put in the quotation marks; that means it's just a simile (a banana likes a finger; a row likes a hand), not in real life, right?

8. ewie

ewie Senior Member

This septic isle!
    NW Englandish English
    Either that, Cherry, or the term hand is used in the banana-growing industry ('jargon', I suppose you might call it) where the distinction between 'big bunches' and 'little bunches' is important.

9. Copyright

Copyright Senior Member

Penang
    American English
    These terms are used in the banana industry... but not much outside it and not at my breakfast table.

10. cherry2123 New Member

Vietnamese
    Thank you all. The matter is clear to me now :)

11. normadela Senior Member

Perú español
    Hi, dear friends:

That's what we say in our country when we mean 5 units. Only a few supermarkets sell them by kilos.

Is "hand" what you use in the U.S?

Thanks in advance.

12. e2efour Senior Member

England (aged 73)
    UK English
    It seems from the reference Owlman provided that you would asked for a bunch of bananas (few people have heard of "hand" in this connection). The common expression "bunch of bananas" refers to a cluster of bananas.

13. normadela Senior Member

Perú español
    Dear Owlman5:

I appreciate your reply.

For some reason I overlooked the thread you mention. But it gives me the answer.

Thanks.

14. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    I think that in the US, we all call the cluster of five or six bananas usually sold at the supermarket a "bunch"--but the technical term is apparently "hand." There's an informative short article at http://www.moscowfood.coop/archive/bananas.html

15. normadela Senior Member

Perú español
    Dear Parla:

Thank you for your valuable information.

Have a great day.

16. Olli_T Junior Member

London
    English
    Agreed, those of us who have never seen a banana hanging from the tree would never ever use "hand".
    That goes for pretty much 95%+ of the UK population I reckon.
    20 bananas would be a "big bunch"
    200 bananas would be a "[insert expletive here] huge bunch"

17. normadela Senior Member

Perú español
    Dear Olli T:

I appreciate your reply, too.

Thanks a lot.

18. Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    Bananas on a tree look nothing like a hand anyway, so if you had seen them, you wouldn't say "hand" either. They only begin to look like hands when you pull the bunches apart.

I haven't heard bananas referred to as a hand for years, but when I was young it was a fairly common expression. I can remember my father using it and he was an architect, not a banana grower or a greengrocer. You don't usually see them in the shops here as hands any more anyway - they tend to be in small bunches, rather than in a hand where there are 5 or 6 fruit in a row, all from the same tier.

19. EEMIA New Member

français-France
    Picking up the thread. In "Dead Letters" (1997) by British writer Francis King (died July 2011), you can read the following about a character coming back from the market:" On his return… with a lettuce, a bag of tomatoes and a hand of bananas, etc. "