Handwritten Greek

Discussion in 'Ελληνικά (Greek)' started by panettonea, Aug 14, 2013.

1. panettonea Senior Member

English--US
    Does Greek handwriting have both printed and "cursive" forms? If so, which is more common today?

2. sotos Senior Member

Greek
    The latter is the most common.

3. panettonea Senior Member

English--US
    Ευχαριστώ, sotos. Do you know of a link that illustrates how to write cursive Greek? I usually print it when I make notes to myself, but I think cursive might speed things up a little. :)

4. Eltheza

Eltheza Senior Member

Worcestershire, UK
    English - England (Midlands)
    Hi panettonea:)!

I found this helpful and bookmarked it some time ago:

http://sites.dartmouth.edu/ellinikasimera/?page_id=335

My Greek handwriting is of the printed type! It took me ages to get to grips with the 'cursive' variety. The way a dear friend writes pi looks like omega to me and mi looks like kappa! All terribly confusing:eek:!

5. panettonea Senior Member

English--US
    Thanks, Eltheza. :)

So is it possible to connect all the Greek letters using cursive? It looks like some of them don't quite connect the way our letters do in English.

So you learned Greek cursive only to revert to printed characters in the end? :D

Been there, done that, but won't do it again. ;)

Incidentally, in the U.S. they're starting to remove the teaching of cursive from schools, which I think is a big mistake. :(

6. Eltheza

Eltheza Senior Member

Worcestershire, UK
    English - England (Midlands)
    Why are they removing the teaching of cursive in schools in the U.S.? What's the pedagogical (big word!) theory behind it?

I write quite neatly in English, so I like my Greek 'printed' style and I can write quite quickly. Also, I write in Greek to English friends who live in Greece and they can understand the printed style better.

As to your first question, probably, but I don't really know. There are all sorts of handwriting styles in English and I suppose this applies to Greek handwriting too.

All the best:)!

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  7. sotos Senior Member

Greek
    If you want a scholarly insight in the cursive Greek, you have to look in Byzantine Palaeography books (e.g. Mioni). Pi looking like omega etc are medieval forms of letters.
    You may start from here http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/byz/paleolinks.asp

8. panettonea Senior Member

English--US
    I think because it isn't "quantitative." :rolleyes: IOW, everything in the U.S. is becoming about standardized tests. The whole curriculum is geared toward passing standardized tests at the end of a quarter/semester/year. Some teachers are even being judged by the performance of their students on these tests! As such, cursive writing doesn't fit into this inane scheme. Strict emphasis on standardized testing is the destruction of real education, if you ask me. :p

My printing is actually neater than my cursive.

Why not write English to your English friends? :)

It seems that it might be difficult to connect letters such as ρ to the others. But Greeks have had thousands of years to perfect the skill, so there must be some way to do it. ;)

Thanks--you too.

9. ireney

ireney Modistra

U.S.A.
    Greek Greece
    Mod note: Please refrain from further discussion of off topic matters in this thread. PMs are your friends.

10. panettonea Senior Member

English--US
  11. Αγγελος Senior Member

Greek
    When I was taught cursive writing in grade school 50 years ago (we called it καλλιγραφία), we were explicitly taught not to connect the letters δ, λ, ρ and φ with the following letter. All other letters were connected, as were all letters of the Latin alphabet. You won't believe how we were taught to write ξ and ψ!