hang a price fixer

Discussion in 'Financial Terms' started by CEMG, Jul 10, 2013.

1. CEMG New Member

English - American
    How would you say to hang a price fixer in Spanish? ie, 'I argue that hanging a price fixer would be detrimental to the product's sales'
  2. jcwoos Senior Member

I see your example but I still have no idea what it means in English. Can you provide more of a definition?
  3. CEMG New Member

English - American
    I don't have an exact definition, but Wikipedia says:

Price fixing is an agreement between participants on the same side in a market to buy or sell a product, service, or commodity only at a fixed price, or maintain the market conditions such that the price is maintained at a given level by controlling supply and demand.

So, I assume the price fixer itself refers to that agreement.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2015
  4. cubaMania Senior Member

The first step is to figure out what "hang a price fixer" means in English, in your context.

Though I am well aware of the meaning of "price fixing" I have never seen or heard the phrase "hang a price fixer" and it means nothing to me without additional context.

I looked up "hang a price fixer" in Google search and got back only articles advocating, as a deterrent measure, the prosecution/severe punishment of those who engage in illegal price fixing schemes.

At first glance, that doesn't seem to fit your text. Why not put the surrounding context into your original question?
  5. CEMG New Member

English - American
    The piece I am trying to translate is that article, 'The Cost of Antitrust Deterrence', as a translation exercise
  6. cubaMania Senior Member

Well then it's not a set phrase. They are using "hang" figuratively to mean take serious legal action against a law-breaker, presumably as an example to deter others from committing the same crime.