1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Happening and rolling, running, going?

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by ThomasK, Apr 11, 2013.

1. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    It seems to me that 'to happen' has equivalents in all languages referring to human or physical movements: going, rolling, flowing, ... Do you recognize that?

E.g. : how is it going ? Do things run smoothly? Things run parallel...
    - Dutch: hoe gaat het? Hoe ver-loopt het? (lopen: to run, to walk, to flow) Vlot het (be fluent)? Het valt voor (it happens, lit. it falls [in front of (us ???)]
    - French: comment ça va? ... ça dé-roule ?

Or am I making a mistake? I now realize it is an extension of a thread I started earlier...

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  2. apmoy70 Senior Member

Greek
    Hi ThomasK,

In Greek we use going, e.g:
    (colloquialisms between friends)
    -«Πώς πας;» [pos pas?]
    "How are you going?"
    or,
    -«Πώς πάνε τα πράγματα;» [pos 'pane ta 'praɣmata?]
    "How are things going?"
    The answer to both is usually a simple «καλά» [ka'la] (adv.) --> well

Modern Greek verb «πάω» ['pa.o] < Byzantine Gr. verb «πάγω» ['paɣo] < Classical verb «ὑπάγω» hŭpágō --> to go away, withdraw, retire < compound, prefix, preposition and adverb «ὑπὸ» hupò --> under, below (PIE *upo-, under) + verb «ἄγω» ágō --> to lead (PIE *ag-, to drive, draw out or forth, move)

3. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    I had just been thinking that the French se passer might very well refer to 'steps' as well... Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  4. mataripis Senior Member

Happening in Tagalog is "Pangyayari". Rolling is "gumugulong".Running is "Tumatakbo" and Going has the meaning " start to do something" . (I am going to make .....= ako ay gagawa ng...)

5. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    However, is there any link betweeing happening, rolling and running in Tagalog?

I suppose this aspect will be more common in most European languages, where a 'basic' verb referring to a physical activity can turn into an abstract one by adding a prefix for example: Dutch vallen, to fall > voorvallen, to occur, which by the way illustrates the same phenomenon: Lat. currere, to run > oc-cur). In other, non-IE languages those verbs might be used metaphorically perhaps, but I do not know any non-IE languages, I am afraid.

6. Maroseika Moderator

Moscow
    Russian
    Russian:

Things go - дела идут.
    How are thing going? - Как дела [идут]?
    Occur - происходить (two prefixes plus ходить - go).

7. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    What the hell is the question thomas? i didnt understand the question at all lol ;P

8. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    I'll try to explain as I suppose Hebrew and Arabic work differently.

The point is, as I illustrated, that verbs referring to happening in Dutch, and other European languages, often have a root verb referring to something physical, some kind of movement, such as walking, running, etc. Think of French se dérouler (to roll off, lit.), English to go, Dutch verlopen (lopen, to run). It is often a verb with prefix or a phrasal verb, but I do not know whether you have anything of the kind in other, non-IE languages...

Maybe you could give us some verbs in your language, equivalents of 'to happen', 'to go on', etc., in Hebrew and see if there is some underlying metaphor.

Just by the way: incident, accident, case, ..., are based on the Latin verb cadere, to fall.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  9. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    Oh, you mean like having verbs that mostly refer to physical action, but sometimes can be altered? (such as - what is going; going is meant for moving mostly, but here it acts as how are things)

So, yes in hebrew we have those, but i think its not as inherent as it is in IE languages because those are thought as low register uses.
    Hebrew, being dense, uses more 'happening' word in 'whats happening' instead of 'whats going', but both are accepted.

10. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    No other verbs than going ?

11. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    Im sure there are, but i cant think of any.

12. aruniyan Senior Member

Tamil
    In Tamil,

nada- walk
    pO- go
    Odu-run

all these are used

one can ask about business, work or life,

eppadi pOhuthu? (how going)
    eppadi nadakkuthu?(how walking?)this is used more often.
    eppadi Oduthu? (how running?)

13. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    So you really use walking to refer to happening? Interesting. Is nada very common, more common than pO?

BTW: I thought of the word 'evolution', which contains volvere, something like turning, or making turn...

14. ahmedcowon Senior Member

In Arabic:

If we want to say "What's happening?", we use "happen يحدث" or "run يجري"
    What is happening\running? = ماذا يحدث/يجري؟ (matha yahduth\yajri?)

If we want to say "How are things going?", we use "walk يسير" - "run يجري" - "go يمضي"
    How are thing walking\running\going? = كيف تسير/تجري/تمضي الأمور؟ (kayfa taseer\tajri\tamDi al-'umoor?)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  15. aruniyan Senior Member

Tamil
    Actually there is another word "nadai"(the way it happens/walks) from the word "nada"(walk), Yes nada is more common and more commonly used than pO(go)
    I think this nada(walk) to be the root of Sanskrit words like Naatiyam(dance), Naatak(drama) etc...

16. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Quite interesting, thanks a lot. And is nadai something like the English 'way'?

Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
  17. aruniyan Senior Member

Tamil
    in a way it is, as used in nadai murai(prevalent custom/way), nadappu(currently), nadai(trip), but walk is the primary meaning.

18. bibax Senior Member

Czech
    Czech:

stát se, přihodit se = to happen, to occur;

stát = to stand, related to Latin stare;
    přihodit = to throw in, prefix při- (ad-) + hodit (to throw);

Note that both verbs (stát se, přihodit se) are reflexive (with the reflexive pronoun se). In the Slavic languages the reflexive construction often expresses the passive, like in the Romance languages, e.g. il s'appelle, él se llama = he is called).

Něco se stalo = something (has been) happened {~ something was (has been) stood};
    Něco se přihodilo = something (has been) happened {~ something was (has been) thrown in};

N.B. There is also "genuine" passive (without the reflexive se):
    Něco bylo přihozeno = something was thrown in (in this case it does not mean: something happened).

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  19. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Quite new to me, this use of being thrown in. I cannot find a parallel in Dutch right now, but there might be one, I just cannot find it.