Happy Birthday song

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by DJG, Jun 20, 2007.

1. DJG New Member

Long Island, New York
    USA English
    Could anyone please give me the translation of the Happy Birthday song in Russian? Thanks DJG
  2. Laoserge Member

Zhuhai, China
    С днем рожденья тебя (х2)
    С днем рожденья ДиДжейДжи!* (Ива-анко, МарьИваанна, Педруушко)
    С днем рожденья тебя!

*here the name is sung with the appropriate tempo/pauses to keep up the rhyme, thus the 'dear' is substituted for. I am not sure what happens when the name is too short - like Micheal or something. Might add an appropriate epithet: 'наш Майкл' or 'наш Вааня' for example, never heard actually, just guessing.

BTW - do you mean the song I thought about? ))

PS: just in case: double vowels mean a long sound to catch up with the rhyme.
  3. DJG New Member

Long Island, New York
    USA English
    Yes, it is the same song. Thanks for the quick response. Can one write/sing "dorogaya" where you have written the word in italics? The name is short and feminine. DJG
  4. Laoserge Member

Zhuhai, China
    yeah - if you for some reason do not want to sing the name, sure, would mean something like "happy birthday, my dear".

I see you are using transliteration - you are ok with the Russian fonts? No need for tanscribing?
  5. DJG New Member

Long Island, New York
    USA English
    I'm just learning. I think I can do it. S dnyom rozhdeniya tebya (x2)
    Well thats about the whole thing isnt it!
  6. Laoserge Member

Zhuhai, China
    Well, good for you then : )
    The only remark - for the sake of the rhyme the word 'rozhdeniya' is used in a bit shortened form - 'rozhden'ya' (рождения vs рожденья)
  7. Laoserge Member

Zhuhai, China
    uh - didn't see your update on the short feminine name
    Do you mean you want to use dorogaya + the name? I don't think it'll work... dorogaya will take up all the spots for syllables in the 3rd line. Just give the actual name and we'll make it in real time, I won't tell her, don't worry)) There may be a lot of possible epithets ...
  8. Crescent

Crescent Senior Member

Russian, (Ukraine)

Well, the funny thing is that sometimes, when office staff celebrate the birthdays of their bosses, they have to include not the small, short name of the person, but the имя очество (name and ''father name''). However, we somehow still manage to sing it and it sounds ..acceptable! :p

What happens is that on the last line ''dorogaya +name'' - the entire line is
    compressed and squashed up (in other words - sung very rapidly), so that all of the syllables fit in.

e.g. С днём рожденья, Дорогая Екатерина Антоновна..

:D - it's a terribly long name (and 'otchestvo') but it would still fit in, if you try hard enough. ;)

However, seeing as how your name (or the girl's name who you're doing this for) is fairly short, it should be even easier!
  9. Laoserge Member

Zhuhai, China
    Well, I have to agree with Crescent, you can squash dorogaya and the name. Will sound funny, but with enough love for the sung-to will be ok. I was just trying to reach the purity of the cadency, the perfectionist that I am : )
  10. DJG New Member

Long Island, New York
    USA English
    How about 'milaya' instead of dorogaya?
  11. Laoserge Member

Zhuhai, China
    Could be.
    You can actually put anything you like in there, once you got hold of the rhyme of the whole thing. Just try to sing along contracting/prolonging some syllables - see how it sounds.
  12. macdevster

macdevster Senior Member

USA, English
    Why isn't it тебе instead of тебя?
  13. rwils79 Senior Member

Cairns, Queensland, Australia
    English - Australia
    Because the full congratulation is as follows: поздравлять кого-либо с днём рождения.