Happy Birthday

Discussion in 'Tagalog and Filipino Languages' started by LatinRainbow, Feb 28, 2008.

1. LatinRainbow Senior Member

español
    Hi you all:

As I found out:
    birthday = kaarawan
    and
    happy = masaya
    So, is it correct to say Masaya Kaarawan or is there another term to mean happy birthday?

I will appreciate any help.
    Maraming salamat in advance...

2. I believe "happy birthday" in Tagalog is "maligayang bati" which literally means "happy greeting." At least when singing "happy birthday" this is how they say it. Hopefully someone else can confirm.

3. balasang Junior Member

ilocano, tagalog, english, filipinas
    In cases like this 'maligaya' is usually used(for greetings) but in regular use, it's masaya.

Eg. Maligayang bati, Maligayang Pasko(Merry Christmas), Maligayang pagbabalik(literally, happy homecoming!)

Masaya ako rather than Maligaya ako[that sounds old fashioned and poetic] (I'm Happy)

Maligaya and masaya mean the same, by the way.

4. Cracker Jack Senior Member

The complete phrase should be ''Maligayang bati sa iyong kaarawan.'' It means ''Greetings on your birthday. Howerver, this is shortened to ''Maligayang Bati.'' But everybody says ''Happy Birthday.''

5. tanzhang Senior Member

Florida
    PHILIPPINES - Tagalog and English
    Maligayang bati - Good/Happy greeting

Maligayang kaarawan - Happy birthday

i think when greeting someone it is more appropriate to use the word Maligaya

and the use of "masaya" meaning happy is used when stating something or someone or oneself is "happy"

6. LatinRainbow Senior Member

español
    So it would be correct saying Masaya ako!!! :)
    Thanks you all people, for being there and willing to help
    ( there will be more questions, for sure )

7. MARTEENA Junior Member

PHILIPPINES
    You're right, it means I'm happy!:)