1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Happy New Year

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by patrici, Feb 6, 2008.

1. patrici Junior Member

Barcelona
    Spanish
    Hi! I'd love to know how to say happy new year in Chinese (the pronunciation).

Thanks in advance!

2. Spectre scolaire Senior Member

Moving around, p.t. Turkey
    Maltese and Russian
    Happy New Year! 祝新年快乐! zhù xīn nián kuài lè

This is how they say it in Mandarin.
    :) :)

3. Dalian

Dalian Senior Member

Shanghai, China
    Mandarin
    Or just [FONT=宋体]新年快乐[/FONT] (xīn nián kuài lè).

-Dalian

4. jaxineau

jaxineau Senior Member

Vancouver
    English/Chinese; Canada
    I usually put some sort of "you" in the phrase.
    祝您(nīn)新年快乐 or something like that.

5. lasirena Senior Member

us
    Hola Patrici,

No se' si has estudiado el pinyin (la romanizacio'n del chino). Si no, te escribo la pronunciacio'n de "feliz anyo nuevo" segu'n las reglas de la pronunciacio'n del castellano: shin nien cuai lah.

** "sh" es la u'nica excepcio'n ya que este sonido no existe. Aqui', "shin" se pronuncia como la palabra inglesa "sheep", so'lo que termina con n.

新年快乐! xīn nián kuài lè

shin nien cuai lah.

6. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    I have six students who are from China and I would like to send an e-mail to them this Sunday that that says "I wish you all a Happy New Year!" in Mandarin. Would the following be correct?

祝大家新年快樂!

7. Lucia_zwl

Lucia_zwl Senior Member

Your students must feel lucky to have you as their teacher.:thumbsup:

If you mean Mandarin, i.e. Simplified Chinese, the characters are written like this: 祝大家新年快乐!(so only the last character is "simplified") Your version is Traditional Chinese.

8. Skatinginbc

Skatinginbc Senior Member

Canada
    Mandarin 國語
    :confused: ???? :confused:

9. Lucia_zwl

Lucia_zwl Senior Member

其实我是想说简体字和繁体字,so maybe "simplified Chinese character" and "traditional Chinese character" are more accurate?

10. SuperXW Senior Member

If they are from P.R.China or Malaysia or Singapore, use simplified Chinese, which is 祝大家新年快乐!
    If they are from Taiwan or Hong Kong, use traditional Chinese, which is 祝大家新年快樂! (The last character is different.)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  11. SuperXW Senior Member

嗯,Mandarin只表示官方漢語的說話標準,現在主要就是普通話或國語,和繁簡體無關。

12. BODYholic Senior Member

Singapore
    Chinese Cantonese
    I believe most of us understanding what you mean. But when you wrote "... Mandarin, i.e. Simplified Chinese, ...", it makes a world of difference.

"i.e." is short for the Latin words id est which mean 'that is'. So, in your sentence, you claimed that "Mandarin is simplified Chinese" (another words, traditional Chinese is not) which is definitely inaccurate. And understandably, some people get annoyed or offended with such assertion. Instead, your sentence should read "... Mandarin, e.g. Simplified Chinese, ...".

蛇年快乐。

13. Youngfun

Youngfun Senior Member

Pekino, Ĉinujo
    Chinese/Italian - bilingual
    Another reason is that in Taiwan they speak Mandarin(国语)but write in Traditional Chinese(繁体字)! (Not mentioning pre-1950's China and pre-1980's Singapore)

新年好!:) (I always prefer 好 rather than 快乐)

14. xiaolijie

xiaolijie MOD

UK
    English (UK)
    Many posts on internet forums are typically quick posts and it's common to see unintended mistakes. It's also quite easy to recognise what is unintended and what is intentional, and I hope we all participate in discussions with this understanding and tolerance.

For example, if I want to pick on someone's post above, I'd say there're no such things as "simplified Chinese" and "traditional Chinese". Nevertheless, we all know what the posters really mean, even by those convenient but inaccurate labels. :)

蛇年吉祥, everyone!

15. Lucia_zwl

Lucia_zwl Senior Member

Sorry for my inaccurate interpretation of Mandarin. Thank you for pointing it out and for your understanding.

祝大家春节快乐,蛇年吉祥!:)

16. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    I understand that the traditonal greeting is:

恭喜發財
    Pinyin: Gōngxǐfācái
    Cantonese: Gung1 hei2 faat3 coi4
    Sino-Viet: Cung hỉ phát tài
    etc.

Is that correct?

17. xiaolijie

xiaolijie MOD

UK
    English (UK)
    Yes, I think so. This greeting seems to be very popular among Cantonese speakers and spreading...

18. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    That's very nice of you. Thanks also for making me feel very welcome in this forum. :)

Thank you so much for this very helpful information. :thumbsup:

19. Youngfun

Youngfun Senior Member

Pekino, Ĉinujo
    Chinese/Italian - bilingual
    I didn't know it was of Cantonese origin. I thought it was a traditional Chinese greeting. Actually more "Chinese" than 新年快乐。