Happy + number, anniversaries, celebrations

Discussion in 'Polski (Polish)' started by 涼宮, Jun 27, 2013.

1. 涼宮

涼宮 Senior Member

Sbaeneg/Castellano (Venezuela)
    Hello there!

I am stuck with the following expression. From what I have seen and asked a Polish person, the structure of ''happy + number'', doesn't exist per se. You do have happy Christmas/anniversary, but when it comes to something more specific it seems unnatural in Polish or it just doesn't have a fixed way. Let's consider the following context. There are two friends who are very happy and get along very well, one of them wants to say something like ''happy 6th month'', as a celebration. The same thing could apply to co-workers if one of them wants to congratulate the other for being working for 6 months in the company. Szczęśliwych sześciu miesięcy seems to be too unnatural, so, what do you guys propose for such cases?

Z góry dziękuję! :)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  2. BezierCurve Senior Member

"Miesięcznica" is the word you're looking for, although not very popular (might sound even a bit funny), as people tend to celebrate such things annually. Also, we usually do not wish a "happy" celebration; it's often "wszystkiego najlepszego z okazji..." (all the best on... ). So, in this case:

Wszystkiego najlepszego z okazji szóstej miesięcznicy.

Alternatively, in case of 6 months like here you can use "półrocze" (half-year, so: ... z okazji półrocza), which will sound even more natural.

3. 涼宮

涼宮 Senior Member

Sbaeneg/Castellano (Venezuela)
    Thank you a lot, Bezier!

4. Ben Jamin Senior Member

Norway
    Polish
    In Polish you can use szczęśliwego as an equivalent of happy basically only to New Year. Christmas and Easter require wesołych swiąt. For anniversaries we say “najlepsze życzenia z okazji …”, for promotions and achievements “gratuluję z okazji …”
    Happy has just limited use in congratulations in Polish, and it is futile to try to spread it to other expressions.

You can say "wszystkiego najlepszego z okazji sześciu miesięcy znajomości" but it will sound a bit artificial, as such occasions are not customarily celebrated.

Miesięcznica sounds awful to me.

5. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    You can even give a 'miesięcznica roczna' to someone on such an occasion. :)

It's the first time I see the word. After some research I see there is another spelling variant: 'miesiącznica'. The word with the meaning 'a monthly anniversary' is, however, nonexistent in dictionaries. Do you use it?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  6. BezierCurve Senior Member

I used it a few times in a humorous way when talking about monthly celebrations my son had with his girlfriend.

It's a rare one, but I think I saw it online a few times and the last time in the context of Smoleńsk commemorations.

7. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    Thank you.

If at all, I'd expect it to be used for effect.