1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Harbi 93

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by cyaxares_died, Sep 11, 2009.

1. cyaxares_died Senior Member

paris
    Deutsch
    Türk dilinde niye 1877-1878 Osmanlı-Rus Savaşı "Harbi 93" ismi verir?
    Why do Turks call the 1877-8 Ottoman-Russian war "Harbi 93"?

2. Rallino Moderatoúrkos

Ankara
    Turkish
    it's called 93 Harbi.
    Harp = war

93 is a reference to the year 1293. The war was made in 1293 according to the Solar Calendar that Turks used until 1925.

P.S. I googled it :)

3. cyaxares_died Senior Member

paris
    Deutsch
    THanks. My dictionary told me "harbi" meant "honest" and for some reason I left it at that.

4. macrotis Senior Member

İstanbul
    Turkish
    That's correct. It's the figurative meaning of harbi. But harbi as in 93 harbi (war of 93) and harbi as in harbi konuşmak (to speak the truth) are different in structure. The former is harp (war) with the genitive suffix -i, the latter is harp with adjectival suffix i (arabic y), which means "that belongs."

5. ciao amore

ciao amore Junior Member

Ankara
    Türkçe

harp = Krieg

harbi = 1) ehrlich

2) Genitivsform dieses Wortes.

:)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  6. daywisher Junior Member

Morocco
    Turkish
    Quoted: "That's correct. It's the figurative meaning of harbi. But harbi as in 93 harbi (war of 93) and harbi as in harbi konuşmak (to speak the truth) are different in structure. The former is harp (war) with the genitive suffix -i, the latter is harp with adjectival suffix i (arabic y), which means "that belongs."

One small note on syntax.
    In the case of "93 Harbi", the suffix is written as "Harb-i 93",
    Like; Birinci (İkinci) Harb-i Umumî = 1st (2nd) World War
    Other examples: hâlet-i ruhiyye = psychological state /state of mind, Şehr-i İstanbul = İstanbul Şehri, iâde-i ziyaret = a courtesy visit payed back (to somebody who has visited you before).

Old usage.

7. jinxnao Senior Member

turkey turkish
    you can say 93 harbi = 1293 war something like "çocuk sevgis(İ) take notice of İ here it is a suffix and harbi as second meaning means truth
    harbi laf etmek = to speak truth, to tell the truth or speak effectively and esteemworthy...here harbi is nothing to do with harp = war it is just an idiom of which source is not worth searching in my opinion...