1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

harbor vs. port

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Kasp, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Kasp Senior Member

ESPAÑOL -PERU
    Hello everyone. I would like to know the difference between harbor and port/seaport because in Spanish it is PUERTO for both, isn't it?

2. riscman Senior Member

Warwick England
    English-English
    Harbour is a sheltered place out of the swing of the sea. A port has a harbour but also has buildings and services.

3. Chez Senior Member

London
    English English
    De acuerdo con riscman.

I'd say, usually, you think of a port as a large commercial enterprise, with docks and warehouses and communications inland; and a harbour can be as small as a tiny cove in Cornwall, for example, with two rowing boats in it (although there are also small ports and large harbours, of course!)

4. Kasp Senior Member

ESPAÑOL -PERU
    Thanks!!!!!! a lot!!!
    Now, do you know the translation of these words? or it is "puerto" for both?

5. doloresmr Senior Member

Barcelona
    Spanish
    "puerto" is any man-made port or harbor, whether large or small. Even yacht marinas are called "puerto". If it's a natural inlet, harbor or shelter, then it's definitely not a "puerto".

6. ptak30

ptak30 Senior Member

Hay muchas palabras como, rada, cala, etc pero "ensenada" puede ser lo más cerca a "harbour" (sinonimo seno!)

7. rogeb Senior Member

Spain and Spanish
    I heard that one of these was a handmade place and the other was natural, can it be right??.