1. gotitadeleche Senior Member

Texas, U.S.A.
    U.S.A. English
    Hi everyone,

I have a recipe for making buñuelos de calabacín that calls for "harina de fuerza." Can someone tell me what kind of flour that is?

2. ratalarga New Member

Colombian spanish
    Harina de fuerza Is the flour you use to make bread and not pastry, its called this way because it contains more protein In some markets you can find it as three cero 000 flour.
    What ever you do do not use pastry flour use an opposite one
    By hope this helps
  3. gotitadeleche Senior Member

Texas, U.S.A.
    U.S.A. English
    Thank you ratalarga for your explanation. From your discription, I'd say you were talking about what we call in English "hard wheat."

"Along with soft wheat and durum wheat, it is one of the three main categories of wheat. Hard wheat has a high protein content. The flour milled from hard wheat contains a high percentage of gluten, which makes it the best choice for making yeast breads."
  4. ratalarga New Member

Colombian spanish
    hi that is exactly what I meant Hard wheat. You can also use an intermidiate flour between soft and hard wheat dependeing on the consistency you want
  5. alacant

alacant Senior Member

Alicante, Spain
    England, english

I think it actually called strong flour as it is in Spanish.

Cheers, A
  6. mrc Junior Member

CA, EEUU
    Madrid, España
    mejor tarde que nunca... yo he visto que harina de fuerza lo traducen como strong wheat flour
  7. vozbox New Member

United States, English
    I think "bread flour" is the most natural translation for me. This is a sort of flour with a higher gluten content, making it ideal for making bread; and I think this would be the equivalent to harina de fuerza. Indeed, there may be a more precise translation, but for general purposes I think this would work.
  8. bluemptysoul

bluemptysoul Senior Member

spanish xP
    harina de fuerza?
    I knew it as harina dura
  9. cirrus

cirrus Senior Member

UK English
    Speaking as someone who bakes his own bread, I can confirm that in the UK strong flour is the normal phrase. I think bread flour is the common name for this in the US. As others have pointed out is to do with the gluten content. For years this sort of flour has been imported here from the prairies.