1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Hartelijk gefeliciteerd

Discussion in 'Nederlands (Dutch)' started by limpit, Apr 14, 2008.

1. limpit New Member

English
    While in Bonaire my wife bought a birthday card for her sister and thought it would be fun to get one that was in Dutch. The lady at the card shop had a difficult time translating the inside of the card into English for us when we asked her. We have not been able to find very much translation for the contents of the inside of the card and am hoping someone here can help us.

The inside of the card reads: "Hartelyk gefeliciteerd en geniet van dere byrondere dag."

My wife would be so happy if someone could help.
    Thank you

2. Suehil

Suehil Medemod

Tillou, France
    British English
    'Hartelijk gefeliciteerd en geniet van deze bijzondere dag' means 'Sincere congratulations and enjoy this special day'
    'Hartelijk gefeliciteerd' is a standard 'Happy Birthday' in Dutch.

3. Vincit Junior Member

Belgium
    Dutch -Belgium
    'Hartelijk gefeliciteerd' is a standard 'Happy Birthday' in Dutch is misschien toch wel wat breed door de bocht. Men kan je wel "hartelijk feliciteren met je verjaardag", maar dat "hartelijk gefeliciteerd" daarom gelijk is aan "gelukkige verjaardag" ..... ?

Vincit

4. Suehil

Suehil Medemod

Tillou, France
    British English
    Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. By 'A standard Happy Birthday' I meant 'a standard birthday wish'.

5. limpit New Member

English
    Thank you for the assistance.

I wonder why something as common as "Happy Birthday" would not show up on the online translation programs?

6. George French Senior Member

English - UK
    It works for other more common European languages (German, French) at least English to foreign.......

What Dutch translator are you using? Google gives "Congratulations"

Being a native English speaker I translate
    "Hartelyk gefeliciteerd en geniet van deze byzondere dag" simply as:
    "Congratulations :) & enjoy this special day"

To get Google to work try the modern spelling:--
    "Hartelijk gefeliciteerd en geniet van deze bijzondere dag" & it gives
    "Congratulations and enjoy this special day"

Have a nice day! :D

GF...

PS. Google can't translate "Have a nice day" to Dutch, or French or German. Babel Fish is better.....