1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

harva asutus

Discussion in 'Suomi (Finnish)' started by Gavril, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    Päivää,

What does "harva asutus" mean in the following context?

My translation of the highlighted phrase:

"Originally, the purpose was to compensate for [sparse settlement?] and economic conditions."

Is this a reference to how certain regions of Finland are sparsely populated?

Kiitos!

JK: En myöskään ymärrä, mihin viitataan lauseella, "Alun perin oli tarkoitus kompensoida ..." -- mitä siis tehtiin tähän tarkoitukseen? Ehkä tämä olisi minulle selkeämpi jos tuntisin asiaa paremmin.

2. Grumpy Old Man Senior Member

As I understand it: Initially / In the very beginning it was our intention to get compensation for thinly populated regions and our agricultural conditions.

3. Määränpää

Määränpää Senior Member

Finnish
    http://www.eduskunta.fi/faktatmp/utatmp/akxtmp/ptk_6_2013_ke_p_1.shtml#pvuoro41

All European Union member states fund the EU. We call it (informally) the EU membership fee.

In return, the EU gives money to the member states. Some countries (net recipients) receive more than they pay, some countries (net contributors) receive less. Finland and Denmark are both net contributors.

Sparsely populated areas and farmers in areas with bad conditions for agriculture are supposed to get more support. Some of these areas are in Finland. In Denmark there are no such areas. ("[Tanskassa] nämä asiat ovat kunnossa.")

In the most recent negotiations for the EU budget, Denmark got a membership fee discount (maksupalautus). The discount means that Denmark's net contribution (fee minus support) will be at the same level as Finland's. ("Tanska sai maksupalautuksella palautettua maksunsa meidän kanssa samaan kategoriaan.") The Finnish government apparently (I can't find a citation) said in these negotiations, on a Friday ("EU:n perjantaisessa budjettikeskustelussa"), that Finland's net contribution won't be too big if it's similar to Denmark's.

Sipilä, representing the Finnish opposition, says that Finland's net contribution can't be compared to Denmark's. Finland's net contribution should be smaller than Denmark's, because the support Finland gets was originally supposed to include compensation for the fact that some areas in Finland are more sparsely populated and have worse climate than Denmark. ("Alun perin oli tarkoitus kompensoida nimenomaan harvaa asutusta ja maatalouden olosuhteita.")

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  4. Gavril Senior Member

English, USA
    Ah, I forgot that maatalous = "farming, agriculture", not "national economy" (maan talous).

Kiitos GOM ja Määränpää!