1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Has London a nickname as New york has?

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by olives, Nov 25, 2006.

1. olives Senior Member

Germany
    French
    Hi everyone,

I was just curious to know whether London has a nickname as New York, the big apple, If I'm not mistaken.
    Feel free to precise whether it's quite used and where it comes from. Thanks.

That's all,
    THANKS.

2. Katemonster

Katemonster Senior Member

The smoke.

3. olives Senior Member

Germany
    French
    Why the Smoke?

4. Katemonster

Well, because it used to be - you know, fog and smog and all that.
    Probably a bit old-fashioned now.

5. Katemonster

Also 'the City' is used for the city of London in the sense of the financial world.

6. Tatzingo

Tatzingo Senior Member

Where on Earth??
    English, UK
    The Smoke?

Hmm... I've never heard that one before.

Tatz.

7. vicky0522 Senior Member

spanish
    le fumée...

8. olives Senior Member

Germany
    French
    The City rings a bell, yes.

The Smoke rings a bell-tower lol. I'm pretty sure that I've already read that before actually.

Thanks,
    Any other suggestions?

9. Tatzingo

Tatzingo Senior Member

Where on Earth??
    English, UK
  10. FAC13

FAC13 Senior Member

English, UK
    "the smoke" is commonly used, but only in a slightly humorous context. I can't think of any others.

11. olives Senior Member

Germany
    French
    Has anyone ever heard of "the Big Smoke"?

12. emma42 Senior Member

North East USA
    British English
    "The City" means the City of Westminster, which is within London, but not the whole of London. It does, as has been said, refer to the financial district. If someone says, "I work in the City", they will be referring to this district specifically.

I don't know about usage of "The Smoke" within London itself, but it isn't used that much any more around my area (Midlands). It seems at least 30 years out of date to me.

13. olives Senior Member

Germany
    French
  14. olives Senior Member

Germany
    French
    So if I said that I work in the City, it means that I work in the boroughs in the center of London.

I actually thought Westminster only refers to the Parliament, but i was wrong.

15. emma42 Senior Member

North East USA
    British English
    Parliament is housed in the Palace of Westminster ("Westminster" for short).

The City of Westminster is the most expensive part of London. If you say you work in the City, you will be referring to the City of Westminster, not just the boroughs in the centre of London - many of them are poor. I don't know exactly the geography of the City of Westminster, but I bet you could find a map on the web.

16. chendley Junior Member

Connecticut
    English/USA
    I will defer to a resident of the UK, but I always thought that the City (with a capital "c") refers only to the City of London, which has its own Lord Mayor. I am surprised to hear Westminster referred to as "the city." Isn't the term "greater London" used to refer to all the various boroughs?

17. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    "Westminster" and "The City of London" are two of the boroughs of London. If I say "I work in the City", I mean either that my workplace is in the latter borough or that I work in London's financial sector, which is found mostly in that borough.

18. emma42 Senior Member

North East USA
    British English
    Sorry, yes, I got a bit mixed up there. "Westminster" is also known as The City of Westminster, though.

Thanks for clarifying, sound shift.

19. Raylin Junior Member

Britain
    No, not one that's universally used and recognised, anyway.

20. Coppers Senior Member

South Yorkshire
    English - England
    Yes - The Smoke is fairly well understood, as disussed further up.

21. Gracieux_8 Senior Member

English
    We usually refere to it as "The Big Smoke" as in the Jake Penate song "torn on the plaform": I don't want The Big Smoke to leave me behind. The nickname come from the Great Smog: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Smog_of_1952

We sometimes use Londinium (the Roman name for it) but is more like a jokey quirky way.

The City works too.

22. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    London is sometimes referred to as "The Great Wen", particularly in ninetheenth-century literature.

23. ramadub Senior Member

English
    If you say 'I work in the City', it means you work in the City of London, and it implies you work for some kind of bank etc big firm like that

If you said 'I work in the centre', that means that you work in Central London, ie Westminster, Soho etc

24. laurwen New Member

Bogotá, Colombia
    Colombian - Spanish & English
    "LDN", is it helpful?