has vowed not to ... 'should' the ....

Discussion in 'English Only' started by ronnie osullivan, May 4, 2013.

1. ronnie osullivan New Member

Chinese
    Hearn, who has managed O’Sullivan in the past, has vowed not to stand in the 37-year-old’s way should the latest in a long line of retirement warnings be one he stick to.

What does the words in red mean? I am quite confused for the ' should'.

2. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    Hello ronnie osullivan, and Welcome to the Forum! :)

"should the latest in a long line of retirement warnings be one he stick to" = in the event that he decides to retire after having threatened to retire on many previous occasions. :)

3. boozer Senior Member

Bulgaria
    Bulgarian
    I am getting a bit confused. I surely have no problem with this veiled conditional but I wonder if it should not be 'sticks to'... If it should be one he sticks to sounds fine to me.

4. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    I think that's right, boozer, though ronnie seems to be asking about the use of 'should'.
    I see you've called it a veiled conditional. Is that the official term for it? Maybe you could say a little more, as I couldn't find any previous thread with this term in the title. :)

5. boozer Senior Member

Bulgaria
    Bulgarian
    No, Beryl, I called it 'veiled conditional' and I am ready to take full responsibility for that. :D I do not remember its proper name if that's what you're asking. However, when I do see its proper name somewhere it's like I've always known it. Too bad I studied all that grammar so long ago. :) All I know is that it is a conditional that does not need 'if' to be seen as one. I was initially confused because you hadn't changed that 'stick' to 'sticks' and it appeared you were happy with it. I should have known better. :)

6. Beryl from Northallerton Moderator

British English
    Of course, you're right - I have read the internet from cover to cover.

Here's (what I presume is) the source: Ronnie O'Sullivan admits Barry Hearn has the power to pursuade him to carry on playing snooker - Telegraph.

And although the title rather daringly flouts spelling conventions, wade a little deeper into the story and you'll find the following:
    "Hearn, who has managed O’Sullivan in the past, has vowed not to stand in the 37-year-old’s way should the latest in a long line of retirement warnings be one he sticks to."

7. ronnie osullivan New Member

Chinese
    Much thank to you guy!!