Have a good trip!

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by Grefsen, May 22, 2008.

1. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    By coincidence two of my best Russian friends are both taking trips that start tomorrow. :)

I would like to send emails to both of them today and write "Have a good trip!" in Russian.

Is the following correct?

Хорошее путешествие!

(Horoshee puteshestvie!)

Spasibo!

2. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    I just thought I would add that one of my Russian friends is going on vacation (holiday) to Turkey and the other friend is taking a trip to Canada where she plans to combine business with pleasure (sort of a working vacation).

In English is would be perfectly fine to write "Have a good trip" to both of them, but I'm wondering if if I need to be more specific in Russian and write something that means "Have a nice vacation in Turkey" to the first friend instead of just "Have a nice trip"? :confused:

3. Grizlyk

Grizlyk Senior Member

Хорошего путешествия.

Удачного путешествия.

Хорошо отдохнуть.

Удачно тебе съездить в Турцию.

4. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    Spasibo Grizlyk! :)

Would the English translation of this be "Have a nice vacation in Turkey?

Here is the transliteration I get when I use the www.translit.ru site: :confused:

Udachno tebe s#ezdit' v Turciju.

5. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    Is this first variant the preferred way to write "Have a good trip!" in Russian?

What would be the English translations for these next two variants?

Spasibo!

6. Grizlyk

Grizlyk Senior Member

Let your trip be lucky.

I wish you good holidays.

7. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    Spasibo!

Wouuld the following be acceptable transliterations for those two expressions?

Udachnogo puteshestvija.

Horosho otdohnut'.

8. Grizlyk

Grizlyk Senior Member

Yes, of course russian ppl will understand it.

9. Etcetera

Etcetera Senior Member

St Petersburg, Russia
    Russian, Russia (St Petersburg)
    Hi Grefsen.:)

The commonest way to say "Have a nice trip!" in Russian is Счастливого пути! / Schastlivogo puti!

10. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    Привет Етцетера. :D

Спасибо! :)

The timing of your reply was absolutely perfect. :thumbsup: Immediately after receiving the WR email notification I sent this greeting in an SMS to my Russian friend who is on her way to Canada today. :cool:

I really appreciate the other replies I received in this thread, but I knew that there was another way to to say "Have a nice trip!" in Russian. Now I just realized that it was actually my friend who is traveling today who had first said "Schastlivogo puti" to me. :eek:

11. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    My other Russian friend is already on her way to Turkey, but I would still like to be sure that I understand the meaning of Удачно тебе съездить в Турцию and why I'm having such a challenge with the transliteration of this. :confused:

Спасибо!

12. Lemminkäinen

Lemminkäinen Senior Member

Oslo, Norway
    Norwegian (bokmål)
    The translit.ru site simply seems to transliterate the hard sign (ъ) with a number sign (#). The most common transliteration is using a double apostrophe, though (s''ezdit').

13. Etcetera

Etcetera Senior Member

St Petersburg, Russia
    It's Этсетера. ;)
    [/quote]

Most people use single apostrophe: s'ezdit'.

14. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    Close, but no cigar. :D

Спасибо Этсетера! :)

I guess I should have realized that there should have been an apostrophe in the transliteration, but it really surprised me when I saw the "#" symbol, for the first time since I have been using the translit.ru site.

15. Etcetera

Etcetera Senior Member

St Petersburg, Russia
    I've never seen this symbol used in transliterations, too. Rest assured that there's nothing wrong with you.:)

16. Lemminkäinen

Lemminkäinen Senior Member

Oslo, Norway
    Norwegian (bokmål)
    Just for the record, it seems pretty much all established romanization systems use the double apostrophe. However, since Grefsen is writing an informal message where absolute transcription like that isn't necessary, your comment is of course the most helpful :)

17. Saluton Senior Member

Moscow, Russia
    Russian
    Счастливого пути! can be used for any kind of trip, not just going on vacation, that's why it's so popular. In fact, it might just be a form if saying goodbye (that is, if the addressee is going somewhere, even on foot).

18. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    A Russian friend of mine just started a one month vacation in Russia this weekend. Would it be appropriate to post the following message on her Facebook page?

Удачно тебе съездить в России.

19. ahvalj

ahvalj Senior Member

в Россию

P. S. Following the above discussion, I would transliterate съездить as s'yezdit'. What the English-speaking people do with the Russian е and э is simply barbarous and contradicts the traditions of the Latin alphabet usage. E shouldn't be used for ye.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  20. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    Спасибо! :thumbsup:

I appreciate your help. :)