Have a Good Weekend

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by Grefsen, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Grefsen

Grefsen Senior Member

Southern California
    English - United States
    I would like to write "Have a good weekend" or "I hope you have a good weekend" and am wondering what the difference is between these three ways of writing "Good Weekend"?

周末愉快

周末快乐

美好的周末

谢谢!

2. Skatinginbc

Skatinginbc Senior Member

Canada
    Mandarin 國語
    A: 周末愉快/快乐! B: 谢谢 (快乐 is less formal than 愉快, and therefore 愉快 is preferred in writing).
    A: 祝你周末快乐! B: 谢谢! 再见! (I added 哦 to go with the casual, colloquial feel of 快乐)
    A: 祝你有个美好的周末! May you have a nice weekend! B: 真谢谢你! 我也祝你周末愉快! A: 谢谢, 咱们下周见! (Formal, so a long string of bla-bla-bla is usually needed)
    A: 美好的周末. A nice weekend. B: 哦? And? :confused: Keep on. I'm listening.
    I would recommend 周末愉快 or 祝你有个美好的周末 for writing.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  3. Lucia_zwl

Lucia_zwl Senior Member

Do you mean you want to end an email with "have a good weekend"? If so, I would say...

4. xiaolijie

xiaolijie MOD

UK
    English (UK)
    Grefsen, in addition to the above, you can say 祝你周末快乐! as well as 祝你美好的周末! The former is more frequently heard but the latter sounds just a bit more elegant.

5. Lucia_zwl

Lucia_zwl Senior Member

In this case, I would say 祝你有一个美好的周末 for the underlined part.:)

6. tarlou Senior Member

Chinese
    I have some comments for 美好的周末.

Don't say 祝你美好的周末 because we can't wish someone a weekend, no matter it's 美好的 or not.

祝你有个美好的周末 and 祝你有一个美好的周末 are correct in grammar. But they sound like English "Have a nice weekend" ---- one can "have some time" in English but in Chinese I don't recommend this.

You can say 祝你度过一个美好的周末.

The previous two 周末愉快/周末快乐 are better for both email and conversation. The long sentence can be used in specific context (It sounds like the host ending a late night music radio program.)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  7. Skatinginbc

Canada
    Mandarin 國語
    Why not? 祝你有个愉快的夜晚, 祝你有个完美的假期...they all sound good to me. I'm not saying you are wrong. I'm just curious about the reasons.
    Indeed. It is seldom heard in real life conversation, so is English "May you have a nice weekend". It is something usually seen in a written form (e.g., greeting cards) or heard from TV or radio hosts.

8. baosheng Senior Member

Canada
    Canada, English
    周末愉快 does indeed sound good! It is nice and succinct

However, I am wondering: is it common for people to say this in Chinese? For example, if co-workers are going home at the end of a Friday, would it sound natural for them to say "周末愉快" to each other, as one would say "Have a good weekend!" in English? (I'm curious because I think someone once told me that it is not very common... and also, I've yet to hear it in real life (although I'm sure it is used!)) Common or not, I am definitely going use it since I have the habit of saying such things in English!
    Thanks!

9. tarlou Senior Member

Chinese
    It sounds a little bit like English to me. This may be just a personal preference.
    I don't really have reasons, it's just a feeling. I think the English word "have" is different from the Chinese word "有". One can have an iPad, have a good day, or even have a pizza. In Chinese, I prefer 有、(度)过、吃 in the 3 cases. 有 can also be used for time, e.g. 拥有一个美好的童年. But I still feel in wishes, 有 is slightly abused. For "authentic" Chinese expressions, we have "回家过个好年", "欢度春节", I can hardly imagine one expression using "有+time period".
    Anyway all these kinds of greetings/wishes are from western cultures, so using 有 in that way is probably acceptable.

Honestly it's a bit unnatural for me to say it. But I believe people won't feel strange if they hear it (they will be happy to reply 周末愉快 back to you). Chinese people (at least as I know) actually don't do greetings/wishes in daily life as frequently as people in western cultures do. Especially for people we are familiar with, it's a little bit unnatural to use greetings/wishes that also work for formal letters. Probably it's more common to hear 干嘛去?上哪去?下周见。回见。

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  10. Skatinginbc

Canada
    Mandarin 國語
    You actually explained yourself so well that I not only understand your points but also agree with you.
    Agreed. It's just not something Chinese usually do.

11. Lucia_zwl

Lucia_zwl Senior Member

Yes, agree~ 度过 is much better here.

12. Youngfun

Youngfun Senior Member

Pekino, Ĉinujo
    Chinese/Italian - bilingual
    Maybe Chinese would say informally: 这周末好好休息/好好玩!:D