have been living

Discussion in 'English Only' started by cigogne, Dec 7, 2012.

1. cigogne Senior Member

Is it right to say "It's been about 15 years that I've been living with my wife" to meant that I married 15 years ago and I'm still living with my wife?

Thank you!
  2. b3n5p34km4n Junior Member

American English
    I'd say it's perfectly correct to say that. It may or may not be your preference to say the shorter "I've been living with my wife for about 15 years" though.
  3. velisarius Senior Member

British English (Sussex)
    Cigogne, your sentence could mean that you started living with the woman and she became your wife at some time in the past 15 years. I think it leaves some ambiguity
  4. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    As Velisarius says, your sentence is ambiguous. Living with is not necessarily the same as being married to. Your sentence could mean simply that you and the woman who is now your wife have been living together for about 15 years. You might have married her either sometime before that or sometime after that. Also, although it's not the entire problem, you would know exactly how many years you've been married; you wouldn't say "about".
  5. cigogne Senior Member

Thank you. How can I change this sentence to mean exactly that I'm still living with her? I want to keep the first part of the sentence (It's been ...).
  6. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    If you say that you're married (for any number of years), it's assumed that you and your wife live together, unless you say otherwise. At least that's so in AE.