1. Daelik Senior Member

French Canada
    Hello, I am hesitating about the correct translation for 'have been shown' in the following sentence:

Individuals on low fat diets have been shown to develop eczema-type lesions and skin rashes and when given LA, these abnormalities disappear.

Is the meaning: it has been shown (demonstrated, proven) that individuals on low... or it has been observed that (some) individuals on low... develop...?

Thank you.

2. Lionidis Junior Member

Oberlin, OH, USA
    Nigeria (English)
    The sentence could imply either of your suggestions and I think it could only be clarified by the context of the paragraph in which the sentence is located.

3. Don Keyshot

Don Keyshot Senior Member

Vancouver BC
    English Canada
    The meaning here is, as you surmise "Ìt has been shown that individuals on low-fat diets develop eczema...." with the sense of "demonstrated."

"Il a été démontré que ceux qui suivent..."

Hope this helps

4. Daelik Senior Member

French Canada
    Thank you Lionidis. It is the last sentence in the paragraphe, and the sentences before do not provide any context that could help me decide for either meaning. I may have to ask my client...
    But thanks!

5. Daelik Senior Member

French Canada
    Thank you Don Keyshot.
    the problem with this meaning is that it is a bit strange in the context: it has been demonstrated that individuals (all almost implied) who... To demonstrate that someone develops skin lesions sounds a bit strange to me. It is something you might observe more than demonstrate.

6. Don Keyshot

Vancouver BC
    English Canada
    Hi

I think the use of "shown" here occurs almost as a piece of technical jargon. In my mind the speaker clearly (?) implies that, as a result of an experiment or study, the conclusion has been reached that... It's a very common expression in social-science type papers!

Don K

7. Daelik Senior Member

French Canada
    Hi again Don Keyshot,

I know it is a very common expression in this kind of text, meaning exactly what you say, but here... Shown doesn't seem to me as if it's relating to something that can be shown or demonstrated, but merely observed. So what I see as a rather inappropriate use of the word led to my initial question.

Like Lionidis, I find the sentence can have the two meanings mentionned above.

But maybe you are right. I really don't know which to choose.

8. Don Keyshot

Vancouver BC
    English Canada
    Hi Daelik

The person who wrote it probably wasn't thinking as clearly as you are. I suspect a verbal habit got in the way of clarity of expression - a sin in a scientist ?

9. Daelik Senior Member

French Canada
    I wouldn't call it a sin, but it sure doesn't make the translator's job easy!

Thank you for your help.