have given rise

Discussion in 'English Only' started by sun xiao xing, Feb 24, 2013.

1. sun xiao xing New Member

spanish
    Is this sentence correct?

The recent scandals involving the prime minister and the Prva Bank have given rise to demonstrations taking the streets accusing their political leaders of looting the country.

Thanks

2. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Hi Sun Xiao

Which part of your sentence you are most unsure of? As it is, the sentence suffers from a few drawbacks, but they can easily be dealt with, you just have tell us yourself what you think may be wrong with the sentence, because otherwise it would be sheer proofreading, which is something we don't do here.

I suppose you are the author of the sentence, aren't you?

3. sun xiao xing New Member

spanish
    hi dreamlike,
    I´m the author of the sentence. I´m not sure about the second part of the sentence: "have given rise to demonstrations taking the streets". I think that I use too much "the -ing" and the sentence is too stilted.

4. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    The bit 'demonstatrations taking the streets' does not sound very natural to me. Do you want to say that there were demonstrations all over the streets or rather that demonstrators (people) took to the streets?

5. sun xiao xing New Member

spanish
    I want to say the second one, but it still sound too complex.
    If I leave out 'demonstatrations taking the streets', it sound more natural to you, isn´t it?
    "have given rise to demonstrations accusing political leaders of looting the country"
    Thanks

6. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Yes, it is a complex sentence that you came up with, but I still don't know what is it that you want to say. Do you want to use the noun 'demonstration', which is an event, or do you want to use the word 'demonstators' -- people who take part in demonstrations.

I'd say: recent scandal involving... made the demonstrators take to the streets and acusse their political leaders of looting the coutnry.

7. sun xiao xing New Member

spanish
    I want use the expression "have given rise to" in this sentence. It´s for an exercise.

8. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    If so, I'd insist on the past simple and would stick with 'demonstration'.

The recent scandal involving... gave rise to many demonstations.

Then you could go on to say that people took to the steets and accused their political leaders of looting the country.

9. sun xiao xing New Member

spanish
    Thanks. I reallyappreciate your help. That sounds more natural.

10. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    I see nothing unnatural about 'gave rise to demonstations' but Google does not produce a staggering numer of results for this wording. In fact, there are very few of them.

Please wait for native speakers to confirm that it sounds perfectly natural.

11. se16teddy

se16teddy Senior Member

London
    English - England
    "Given rise to demonstrations" sounds fine to me. I find the participles "taking" and "accusing" very confusing: they can't qualify "demonstrations" because they need an animate subject, so what do they qualify? Then, as Dreamlike has said, the idiom is "taking to the streets".

12. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    I think it would be okay to replace 'taking' with 'swarming', the subject remaining inanimate. (demonstations).

given rise to many demonstations swarming the streets of...