Have (imperative)

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by airelibre, Dec 4, 2012.

1. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    Is there a way to say phrases such as 'have strength' without changing the meaning in Hebrew (eg. תהיה חזק)?
    Ie. is there a verb form that would work in such a way for intangible things such as strength?
    Eg 'חוזק X'

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  2. GeriReshef

GeriReshef Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    I think its impossible: in Hebrew there isn't a verb whose meaning is "have", and thus- there isn't an imperative form for it.

3. anipo

anipo Senior Member

Israel
    Spanish (Arg)- German
    I think you could use the biblical "חֲזַק וֶאֱמָץ". It does not contain the verb "to have" (have strength) but means "be strong". It is used in this way and also to celebrate an accomplishment of someone. It is also the motto of some youth movements.

4. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    Thanks for confirming its not possible with have. However, could you get a similar meaning with 'take' or something like that?
    That would be the translation for 'have some money', ׳קח קצת כסף׳, no? So is 'קח חוזק' feasible?
    I know these aren't the most natural translations but I would just like to know if it is possible to have a translation wherein you have an imperative verb equivalent to have, followed by the noun, in this case strength.

5. Tararam Senior Member

Hebrew
    No, קח חוזק isn't possible.
    You could say אזור אומץ/כוח which means: "Gather your courage/strength". It uses the verb "לאזור".

6. anipo

anipo Senior Member

Israel
    Spanish (Arg)- German
    In English you could say "have some money" (in the imperative) meaning "take some money". In Hebrew it does not work that way.
    קח means take (imperative). קח קצת כסף means take some money. For 'have' you would use יש. As for having strength יש לך כח or as a wish שיהיה לך כח or תהיה חזק.
    By the way, חיזוק and חוזק would not be used in "having strength" for a person.

7. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    Ok, thanks for clarifying that for me. I see it's just one more of those cases where you should translate by meaning, rather than by a literal sense.
    So do חיזוק, חוזק refer to materials, such as metal?

8. anipo

anipo Senior Member

Israel
    Spanish (Arg)- German
    Right. חוזק חומרים is strength of materials. חיזוק is reinforcement, making something or somebody stronger. The verb is lekhazek (pi'el).

9. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
    אזור עוז is good, but may be regarded as archaic or high register.

10. hadronic Senior Member

New York
    French - France
    Can't the imperative form of "x יש לך" be "x יהיה לך" ?

11. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    That would be the future form and perhaps in some cases would work as a subjunctive. Eg. אני מקווה שיהיה לך (את) זה
    So not imperative to my knowledge.

12. hadronic Senior Member

New York
    French - France
    But can't future work as imperative ?

13. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    Not in this case. There are a few problems, most importantly: an imperative must be toward a person and since 'have' is translated often as להיות ל, the person who is the possessor is not the subject of the verb and hence the imperative cannot be used.

14. hadronic Senior Member

New York
    French - France
    Just like "I must have a car", how do you translate that ?
    I have a car = יש לי מכונית
    i must have a car = צריך להיות לי מכונית ??

15. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    Yes, but that is not an imperative.

16. hadronic Senior Member

New York
    French - France
    I know it's not imperative, just talking about "יש ל" in other modal environments, which I feel is difficult to construct.
    In the case of צריך, Do you have to make gender / number agreement ?
    I had a car : הייתה לי מכונית (gender)
    I must have a car : צריכה להיות לי מכונית ? Like מכונית צריכה להיות לי .

17. airelibre

airelibre Senior Member

English - London
    היתה לי מכונית is correct.
    I'm not sure about the others. I'd say אני צריך שתהיה לי מכונית.

18. Tararam Senior Member

Hebrew
    צריכה להיות לי מכונית