1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

have lived/ have been living

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Deborah White, Nov 14, 2006.

1. Deborah White Senior Member

Korean Korea
    1) I have now lived in Paris for one year.

2) I have been living in Paris for one year.

My former teacher said that 2) is better, since the speaker is still living in Paris.

But I find 1) in printed materials. So I guess maybe you speak both ways, and manybe you even speak 1) more frequently than 2)?

2. la reine victoria Senior Member

Hi Deborah,

You could use either. Personally, if someone asked me how long I had lived on the Isle of Wight, I woud say "I have lived on the Isle of Wight for four years." I wouldn't say, "I have been living on the Isle of Wight for four years."

LRV

3. pidgeon

pidgeon Junior Member

English/Swedish
    I agree, I think that 'I have now lived in Paris for one year' is more colloquial, whereas 'I have now lived in Paris for one year' is more specifiec, though ?I don't htink that it makes much diifference, you could use either. Hope this helps!

4. Thomas1

Thomas1 Senior Member

polszczyzna warszawska
    Hello LRV,

Maybe because people subconsciously tend to use shorter and less complicated structures not paying much attention to subtle differences. :)

Tom

5. LV4-26

LV4-26 Senior Member

I disagree with pidgeon. I'd rather go along with pidgeon. :D

6. la reine victoria Senior Member

Hi Tom,

Indeed.:) There are subtle differences in these sentences, not least in the tenses.

Regards,
    LRV

7. Deborah White Senior Member

Korean Korea

The second quotation in your reply may be a copy error? Should it be "I have been living in Paris for one year"?

8. la reine victoria Senior Member

1) January 1st 2006
    Dear Diary - I have now lived in Paris for one year. I absolutely love being here and my French has improved enormously. I want to stay here as long as I can.

2) Dear Aunt Maude,
    Thank you for your kind letter which my mother forwarded to me. I have been living in Paris for one year and am having the time of my life. I'm sorry I forgot to let you know of my plans but, since we are not regular correspondents, I trust you will understand.

LRV

9. pidgeon

pidgeon Junior Member

English/Swedish
    Sorry, deborah, my mistake :(, you're right!

10. yoshi_s_island Junior Member

italian
    I am not sure I can see the "subtle difference" (as you named it) leading to the use of I have now lived in sentence 1) and I have been living​ in 2).