Have you been living under a rock? - sarcasm

Discussion in 'All Languages' started by rusita preciosa, Jan 30, 2013.

1. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    What do you say in your language to mock a person who is not current on some information that is supposed to be widely available?

In English it is usually have you been living under a rock? Or sometimes you should get out more.

In Russian we say ты с гор спустился? /ty s gor spustilsya/ - have you come down from the mountains?
  2. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

Hungarian: Te a Marson élsz? (You live on the Mars?)
  3. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod

French (lower Normandy)
    In French, you can say:
    "(il) faut sortir le dimanche !" (literally: "you must (/should) go out on Sundays")
  4. ThomasK Senior Member

(near) Kortrijk, Belgium
    Belgium, Dutch
    Dutch: "... of heb je op een andere planeet gewoond ?" [Have you lived on some other planet ?]
  5. apmoy70

apmoy70 Senior Member

In Greek:

«Από ποιό βουνό κατέβηκες;»
    [a'po pço vu'no ka'tevikes?]
    lit. "from which mountain have you come down?"

«Βουνό» [vu'no] (neut.) is the colloquialism of mountain, in Gr. «όρος» ['oros] (neut.); the latter nowadays is mostly used as a technical term (i.e. naming a mountain range in maps); «βουνό» [vu'no] (neut.) is a noun of the ancient Doric Greek dialect, «βουνός» bou'nŏs (masc.) --> hill, mountain with obscure etymology
  6. DenisBiH

DenisBiH Senior Member

I can't remember any fixed expressions, probably ad-hoc ones are used as needed. The Greek one given by apmoy70 sounds particularly nice and something that would likely be used. The "from which" instead of "have you" makes it funnier.

The expression that immediately came to my mind, although it might not mean exactly the same thing is Dobro jutro, Kolumbo! ("Good morning, Columbus!") which, in my mind, evokes an image of Native Americans expressing their gratitude to Columbus for finally having been discovered. It's used when someone says or concludes something that should have been obvious all along. It's not used so much when a person is not current on some information, but when they're slow to process some information.
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  7. 涼宮

涼宮 Senior Member

Sbaeneg/Castellano (Venezuela)
    ^But what you're saying I think it's not that related with the expression being discussed, I think. I don't know the equivalent in English but in Spanish, for what you're describing has several expressions, 2 of them: ''descubriste América en un vaso de agua'' (you discovered America in a glass of water'' and ''descubriste la pólvora'' (you discovered the powder).

About the topic, I don't remember anything in Spanish and I found nothing for JP.:(
  8. tFighterPilot Senior Member

Israel - Hebrew
    Hebrew /eifo ata ḥai/ "where do you live?"
  9. DenisBiH

DenisBiH Senior Member

True. But this (the Serbian version of Urban Dictionary) does cite the meaning rusita asked for as well. It didn't get as many positive votes though, so I guess you could call it secondary at best.

10. Ghabi

Ghabi Moderator

Hong Kong
    Hi! I'm curious to know whether it's a new expression or a time-honored one? Because my younger brother (twenty something) likes to say (in Cantonese) "Have you just come back from the Mars?", and I always think this is a youngster thing (influenced by the Martian movies etc).
  11. Encolpius

Encolpius Senior Member

^Time-honored...I think.
  12. Diamant7

Diamant7 Senior Member

Que véns de l'hort? - 'Do you come from the orchard?'
    Que baixes de l'hort? - 'Do you come down from the orchard?'
  13. kaverison

kaverison Junior Member

Los Angeles
    Tamil, English - US
    spoken: எந்த காலத்தில இருக்கே (entha Kaalathila irukkee)?
    literal: எந்த காலத்தில் இருக்கிறாய்?

What age are you in?
    எந்த லோகத்தில இருக்கே?
    what world are you in? (லோகம் - உலகம் = world)
  14. ilocas2 Senior Member

Kde žiješ? - Where do you live?

but it has broader use than in the situation described in the first post, in fact it is used rather when someone is too naive

Kolik ti je? - How old are you?

this is rather used when someone acts not correspondingly to his/her age
  15. Messquito

Messquito Senior Member

台灣台北 Taipei, Taiwan
    Chinese - Taiwan 中文 Taiwanese Hokkien 臺語
    In Taiwan, we have an interesting rhyme in Chinese:
    沒知識 (méi zhī shí) If you have no knowledge,
    也要有常識 (yě yào yǒu cháng shí) you should at least have common sense.
    沒常識 (méi cháng shí) Even if you have no common sense,
    也要看電視 (yě yào kàn diàn shì) you should at least watch television. (Meaning you should watch the news)

In a conversation, some would use 沒知識也要有常識 when someone has obviously no common sense.
    And when someone is completely unaware of what is going on in this world, one would say 沒常識也要看電視 or 你都不看新聞的嗎?(Don't you ever watch the news?).

Edit: By the way, sarcasm is not very prevalent in Chinese culture (and pretty much most of the eastern cultures), so in cases like this we just put it straightforward. If you have to use sarcasm in this kind of situations, you have to be creative and invent some expression of your own, or you are very unlikely to find a common one from others.
    The only kind of irony I find common here is when somebody do something that is not that particular or that surprising, but is very proud of it, one might say something that means "you are so terrific" in an insincere tone to mock him.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2015
  16. kaverison

kaverison Junior Member

Los Angeles
    Tamil, English - US
    ^Nice, I can imagine that being sing-song, when spoken. Now that you mention that, I remembered couple of expressions in Tamil:

KiNatthu thavaLai - well frog, a frog that never left the well - to mean someone that doesn't have any knowledge of the outside world.

KuNdu sattiyilee kuthirai oottaathee - don't ride a horse in a sauce pan! Meaning, get out more (or do more).
  17. Signi New Member

I know its an old thread but i still want to write.

In Turkish,

Mağara soğuk muydu? ( Was the cave cold ? )

Oo, internet bağlatmışsın. ( Wow, it seems like you got internet connection. )

Sorry for bad translations, i'm not native speaker ^^