1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Hay hombres que luchan un dia y son buenos. Hay otros que luchan un año y son mejores ... (Brecht)

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by argentina84, Apr 17, 2007.

1. argentina84

argentina84 Senior Member

Göteborg, Sweden
    Argentina Spanish
    I need help to find the translation in English of a famous quote by Bertolt Brecht. It's this one:

"Hay hombres que luchan un dia y son buenos. Hay otros que luchan un año y son mejores. Hay quienes luchan muchos años y son muy buenos. Pero hay los que luchan toda la vida: esos son los imprescindibles. "
    Bertolt Brecht

can it be: "
    There are men who fight one day and are good; others fight for a year and are better. There are some who fight several years and are very good. But there are those who fight all their lives. Those are the essentials" ?
    Thanks in advance! this forrumis great!

2. walkiria Senior Member

Avellaneda
    Argentina, español
    Hola, me parece buena tu traducción, pero en la última frase yo pondría "Those are essential" (sin quitar los dos puntos)
    Igual es mejor que esperes más opiniones.

3. Soledad Medina Senior Member

Estados Unidos
    Cuba, Espanol
    “There are men that fight one day and are good. There are men that fight for a year and are better. There are men that fight for many years and are very good. But there are men that fight for all life... These are essential.” (Bertolt Brecht)

4. WongFeiHung

WongFeiHung Senior Member

USA English
    Me gusta lo que tiene tú.... Una traducción menos literal, y no estoy completamente seguro!, es:
    "There are good men who fight for one day. There are better men who fight for a year. There are even better men who fight for many years. But those men who fight all their lives - they are indespensible
    ...Que te parece?

P.D.
    :D

5. salvamea4545 Senior Member

Boston, MA
    Colombia, Spanish
    There are men who fight one day and are good.
    There are men who fight one year and are better.
    There are some who fight many years and they are better still.
    But there are some that fight their whole lives,
    these are the ones that are indespensable.

Found it in unforgetable quotes

6. mrbilal87

mrbilal87 Senior Member

English (NAmE)
    Qué te parece:

There are good men who fight for a day, better men who fight for a year, and even better men who fight for several years. But the ones who fight all their lives are indispensable. - Bertolt Brecht

7. Basenjigirl Senior Member

English, USA
    I can't find this quote attributed to Brecht in any of the famous quotes web sites but it pops up frequently on people's personal or professional web pages. (Interesting. If it is so famous, how come it isn't listed?) Anyway, in all cases, the word used is "indispensable."

“There are men who fight one day and they are good. There are others who fight one year and they are better.
    There are those who fight many years and they are very good. But there are those who fight a lifetime: those are the ones who are indispensable.”
    Bertolt Brecht.

8. Basenjigirl Senior Member

English, USA
    Yeah, I saw that too. But bear in mind that is somebody's professional web page and he has listed his personal favorite quotes. It's not a famous quote web site that we can use as a reference guide.

9. Soledad Medina Senior Member

Estados Unidos
    Cuba, Espanol
    Yo la tengo escrita a mano en uno de mis libros de College y dice "essential", no "indispensable", pero no recuerdo de donde fue que la copié. Me imagino que debo haberla copiado de algún libro de citas famosas.

Saludos
    SM

10. Basenjigirl Senior Member

English, USA
    "Indispensable" sounds more majestic and literary than "essential." I would use indispensable.

11. Soledad Medina Senior Member

Estados Unidos
    Cuba, Espanol
    And I would use the word written by the author. It might be "indispensable" and I agree with you, it sounds much better, but it might also be "essential".

Hope someone will find the book of quotes written by Brecht.

Kindest regards
    SM

12. argentina84

Göteborg, Sweden
    Argentina Spanish
    Thank you all very much for your help! I coundn't find this famous quote in the net yet...

13. argentina84

Göteborg, Sweden
    Argentina Spanish
    Sorry..ON THE NET!

THANKS AGAIN!

14. WongFeiHung

WongFeiHung Senior Member

USA English
    Hehe, don't you like how in Spanish you could just say 'en' and it means both?? ;)

15. argentina84

Göteborg, Sweden
    Argentina Spanish
    yeah! u r right!!! Spanish is simpler sometimes!!!

16. JasminGermany New Member

Germany - German
    Hola Argentina84,

en aleman, Brecht dice "Das sind die Unersetzlichen" - entonces, el dice que son irreemplazables. Por eso, me parece justo como ha traducido el cantante Silvio Rodriguez: "esos son los imprecindibles".

17. Lachabheagbhui New Member

Irish
    I know this is an old post, but it interests me. I stumbled upon it while looking for Silvio Rodrigeuz' translation of Brecht's quote, because I love the song "La Maza". The word Brecht used was "Menschen" which is "people". Here's my offering in English from the German:

"There are people who struggle one day and they are good.
    There are others who struggle one year and are better.
    There are some who struggle many years and they are very good.
    But there are people who struggle their whole lives.
    Those are the ...indespensable ones."

18. lucky500 New Member

Portuguese
    All the translations are very good. But I also remember the quote, is one of those quotes that once you read it you carry with you the rest of your life, and I remember the word being "imprescindivel" in Portuguese... which translates to indispensable in English and Esencial in Spanish. Now, I don't know if the problem is with Google translator or if the word just translates to this, but the word "imprescindivel" is much bigger than indispensable. If I can make myself clear, indispensable is a person who is very important to you, someone that have no replacements. Imprescindivel is someone that besides being indispensable is unprecedented, there was nobody like him in the past and there will not be anybody like him in the future.

So here for the quote as I remember in Portuguese: Perdon hermanos por invadir esta thread de espanol.

"Há homens que lutam um dia, e são bons;
    Há outros que lutam um ano, e são melhores;
    Há aqueles que lutam muitos anos, e são muito bons;
    Porém há os que lutam toda a vida
    Estes são os imprescindíveis"