He had those criminals sent to jail.

Discussion in 'English Only' started by shalihalfa, Feb 1, 2013.

1. shalihalfa Member

Hello everyone!

I don't really get the meaning of this sentence: 'He had those criminals sent to jail'. Could anyone clarify it for me, please?

Thank you in advance.

All the best,
    shalihalfa :)
  2. boozer Senior Member

'He' was obviously in a position of power. So he had the power to arrange for those criminals to be sent to jail. By the way, what exactly is giving you trouble here? Also, could you please give the source and some context/background. Where does the sentence come from?
  3. shalihalfa Member

I took this sentence from my grammar worksheet. I wonder what the difference is between my sentence and 'He sent those criminals to jail'. It wasn't directly him who sent the criminals to jail?
  4. boozer Senior Member

Yes, you are right.
    He sent them to gaol*. - he was the one who sent them to gaol. How he did it, we don't know. Presumably, he was the judge or someone who could directly order them imprisoned.
    He had them sent to gaol. - he did not directly do it. He arranged for this to happen, presumably from a position of high power.

* Pay no attention to this, I just like this extravagant spelling of jail. :D
  5. shalihalfa Member

Thank you :)

Oh, and 'gaol' looks amazing, I think I'll use this spelling as well from now onl! ;)
  6. Giorgio Spizzi Senior Member

... but don't forget that the pronunciation remains the same, i.e. / dʒeɪl /.

GS :)

(boo, you rascal!)