1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

he shifted his weight

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by emma1968, May 5, 2006.

1. emma1968 Senior Member

tuscany
    ITALY-italian
    Hi,
    I'm able to grasp the meaning of this phrase " he shifted his weight uncomfortably" but not to make a proper translation
    Maybe something like " si sentì di troppo "?
    What does the verb "to shift" mean in this context?
    Thanks in advance

2. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    To shift your weight means to put more pressure on one leg than the other one in most cases. It could also mean changing position while seated to favour one side more than the other.
    Spostare il peso da un piede all’altro. Spostare il peso cambiando posizione?

3. emma1968 Senior Member

tuscany
    ITALY-italian
    Quindi "essere irrequieto"?

Edit: the context is: he shift his weight uncomfortably, knowing there was nothing more he could do at the ranch right now, but not certain that she should be left alone.

4. winnie

winnie Senior Member

italy, italian
    Non necessariamente, anche 'essere a disagio' può produrre lo stesso comportamento (quello di spostare il peso da una gamba all'altra)

5. You little ripper! Senior Member

Australia
    Australian English
    Not necessarily, but in this case probably yes because he shifted his weight uncomfortably, but we need more context to be certain of that. It could be a physical uncomfortableness that is being refered to here.

Edit: I've only just seen the edit of your last post. In this instance I would say that it is a case of essere irrequieto.

6. emma1968 Senior Member

tuscany
    ITALY-italian
    Grazie Charles e Winnie