1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

he treats me well/bad

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by mariente, Dec 26, 2006.

1. mariente Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Español, Argentina (somewhere in the planet Urban)
    A ver:
    he treats me well, me suena bien, ahora, he treats me bad, esta bien dicho?
    gracias!

2. VenusEnvy

VenusEnvy Senior Member

Maryland, USA
    English, United States
    Yo diría He treats me badly.

3. mariente Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    Sí, yo diría lo mismo, gracias.

4. gdmarcus Senior Member

California, USA
    English, USA
    That is grammatically correct. Good job, VenusEnvy, I guess back east you folks know about the "ly" ending for adverbs. I live in California where, in common speech, people don't use the "ly" ending for adverbs.

Tehrefore, Mariente, you might want to be aware that many AE speakers in the USA use incorrect grammer all the time, especially with respect to the words "good", "well", "bad" and "badly". You wil hear many AE speakers say "He treats me bad." and "He treats me good."; it's incorrect, but very common.

5. mariente Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    So he treats me well and he treats me badly son los correctos entonces?

6. nramav Junior Member

chicago
    Mexicano viviendo en Chicago, Il
    Si. Ambos son correctos. Vas a denunciarlo al fin? -Broma!!!

7. Dission

Dission Senior Member

UK
    Spanish, Spain
    Sí, ten en cuenta que ahí tiene que ir un adverbio, así como lo es "well", en sentido contrario ha de ser "badly", siendo well = goodly*

8. Bienvenidos

Bienvenidos Senior Member

USA
    Afghanistan/USA

Walk into any village in Venezuela and you'll hear a bunch of kid's saying, "Yo soy más bueno que tú!" The kids grow up to use proper grammar, but that doesn't always happen here in the States. :) :)

9. Wyatt_BCN Senior Member

Barcelona
    Spanish & Catalan - SPAIN
    Yo creo que sí:
    He treats me well/badly
    Aunque mucha gente no lo haga.

10. Dission

Dission Senior Member

UK
    Spanish, Spain
    Aunque para querer decir He treats me badly, no lo he escuchado mucho por aquí, más bien se opta por negar "He does not treat me very well"

11. piripi

piripi Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English, USA
    Sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree with this last sentence! ;) Although I agree that there are some people or groups of people who commonly use “good” and “bad” as adverbs, I don’t think it’s a West coast vs. East coast thing. Regardless of where this non-standard usage is heard, there is a perception (from the outside of those groups) that this is an uneducated or lower-class usage.

Sincerely,
    Piripi :D

12. Ms Missy Senior Member

U.S. Virgin Islands
    USA English
    I agree with piripi that it isn't a matter of east vs. west (or north vs, south) when it comes to using the "ly" ending on adverbs. However, I'm also hesitant to say that the incorrect usage is limited to the uneducated or lower class. For example, if your doctor were to say to you, "I want you to relax and take it slow for the next couple of days" would that put him in the category of the uneducated or lower class?

Without mentioning any names, I know of a certain PRESIDENT who doesn't always speak grammatically correct. Does that make him uneducated or lower class?

My point is ... let's try to avoid the "one size fits all" and just say, "Some people, many people, or most people" and just leave it at that! If we try to categorize every situation of bad grammar, somebody's always going to end up taking offense.

PS. No offense is intended by my comments ... it's just a thought!

13. former_chomsky_advocate Junior Member

English, USA (Great Lakes)
    Many adverbials are shareing their forms with adjectivals.

What's up with all the prescriptivists here?

14. piripi

piripi Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English, USA
    I agree 100%. That’s why we try to use terms like “standard/non-standard” usage instead of “right/wrong” or “correct/incorrect.” Many of us native speakers switch back and forth between standard and non-standard usage depending on the situation (job interview, writing a formal letter, chatting with friends, etc.).

If you’re hanging out with a group of friends and your speech is formal and “correct,” you could be perceived as snobby/pretentious by some people; likewise, if you choose to use non-standard usage in a formal/business setting, you could be perceived as uneducated by some people. Right or wrong, these perceptions exist and I think it’s important to let non-native speakers know about them so that they can make informed choices.

Saluditos. :)

15. onbalance

onbalance Senior Member

United States
    English - United States
    En este mismo caso, "he treats me good, he treats me bad" se escucha lo mejor. De hecho, no es común que las personas digan "he treats be badly." En muchísimos casos, usar las palabras "good" y "bad" como adverbios es correcto en cuanto a la grammatica. Se diría "he treats me well" si se tratara de su jefe (aunque supongo que "good" sea mas común también en este caso). No importa la situación, casi nunca se escuche "He treats me badly."

16. Ms Missy Senior Member

U.S. Virgin Islands
    USA English
    From the various posts concerning correct language usage, I'm beginning to think that people tend to use the type of language that best fits their needs at the time, or who they're addressing at the time. In speaking I know I would probably say, I was late because the traffic was moving so slow. But in formal writing I would say I was late because the traffic was moving so slowly. I think the main thing is to know the difference and when to switch back and forth.

17. riglos Senior Member

Argentina - Spanish
    Tal vez sea cierto, pero para aportar un ejemplo en el que sí está usado en esa construcción, ¿Alguien recuerda la canción de The Beatles que decía "you treat me badly, I love you madly. You really got a hold on me."

Y muy de acuerdo con Ms Missy en lo que dijo en su post de arriba.

Mara.-