He wanted to go for 'a jump'; [action noun?]

Discussion in 'English Only' started by matthewfs, Mar 9, 2013.

1. matthewfs New Member

English - Canadian
    "He wanted to go for a dance". Is dance both an action noun and verb?
  2. MuttQuad

MuttQuad Senior Member

New York, NY
    English - AmE
    In the sentence you present, it is a noun, although the word "dance" can also be a verb in different syntaxes.
  3. boozer Senior Member

Welcome to the forum. :)

In the example you have given, it is strictly a noun. Maybe I did not understand your question very well, though...

PS. Cross posted with MQ.
  4. matthewfs New Member

English - Canadian
    I was just confused with using verbs as nouns also. I never knew you could use a verb as a noun (unfortunately). But, hey, I'm learning. So if i was to say "John made his progress towards the stairs". Progress is a action noun and not a verb because John physically moved?

And thank you, boozer, for the welcome!
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  5. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    Many words are more than one part of speech, depending upon their use. ("Use" is one such word, which I used in my first sentence as a noun, but I'm now using the verb.) You'll find the part(s) of speech given in dictionaries, including the WR dictionary (the search box at the top of the page).

P.S.: We usually go to a dance, not "for" a dance. Is it different in Canada?
  6. Nipnip Senior Member

As I understand it and use it.

To a dance: To a place where a dancing event is held but without necessarily getting involved in the actual dancing.
    For a dance: to dance, to shake it. Let's go for a dance, we didn't come all the way here just for nothing.