He was very politically active, often disappointed. . .

Discussion in 'Italian-English' started by Otter, Jan 4, 2011.

1. Otter Senior Member

New York, New York
    English/American
    Ciao a tutti,

Voglio scrive, "He was very politicaly active, often disappointed and changed his allegiance/alliances"

"Era molto attiva politicamente, spesso delusa e ha cambiato la sua fidelità/alleanze."

Grazie in anticipo.

Otter.

2. Enigmista

Enigmista Senior Member

Italiano

Just few corrections...Perfect translation :)

3. fitter.happier

fitter.happier Senior Member

Naples, Italy
    Italian
    First off, the original sentence mentions a man, so the adjectives need to be changed accordingly.

Also, in Italian we don't use possessive pronouns as often as you do in English, so I would just drop "la sua" altogether.

Even with these corrections though, the sentence sounds incomplete. I would probably say "ha frequentemente cambiato fazione politica" rather than just "ha cambiato fazione", on the grounds that the two sentences (the description of his attitude + his political choices) just don't blend well together without an adverb of frequency.

4. Enigmista

Enigmista Senior Member

Italiano
    Dice bene Fitter visto che il protagonista è un maschio...(He was very...etc)
    Mia svista... I'm sorry :)

Per il resto non la farei cosi complessa e la traduzione regge alla grande ;)

Hope this helps

5. fitter.happier

Naples, Italy
    Italian
    It might just be a matter of style (or me talking nonsense... bear with me please, I'm very sick at the minute ;) ), but I don't think the two sentences make a lot of sense when put together... the first is a sheer description, the second refers to a specific action, so I would at the very least add an adverb of frequency.

Let's see what others have to say!

6. Otter Senior Member

New York, New York
    English/American
    Enigmista, I don't quite understand the above sentence. Are you saying you think my translation was fine and to keep it simple?

Grazie.

Otter

7. Otter Senior Member

New York, New York
    English/American
    Also, I never used the word "fazione". Was there something wrong with both my other choices?

Grazie. Otter

8. fitter.happier

Naples, Italy
    Italian
    Alleanza politica and fazione politica are both expressions that are easily understood. But I've never heard cambiare alleanza politica.

9. Otter Senior Member

New York, New York
    English/American
    Grazie,

I'm glad that you're more fit and happier! I'm also happier, when I'm my most fit.

Otter.

10. Enigmista

Enigmista Senior Member

Italiano
    Yes more or less...Your translation was fine for sure..except for the usage of "He" in the sentence instead of "She" as Fitter wrote above.... and also the usage of the plural (alliances)
    He : used for males
    She : used for females

Since you aren't a native Italian speaker,in my view your first attempt is brilliant and I wouldn't change nothing except those little explanations you can see above ;)

Hope this helps

11. Otter Senior Member

New York, New York
    English/American
    Thanks for the help and encouragement.

Otter