He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by kike_d, Jan 20, 2008.

1. kike_d New Member

San Salvador, El Salvador
    El Salvador - French / English / Spanish
    quelle est la meilleure manière de traduire "He who makes a beast out of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man" au français?? :confused:

2. Suehil

Suehil Medemod

Tillou, France
    British English
    What would be your try? Is there anything specific in the sentence that is giving you difficulty?

3. kike_d New Member

i think that my translation looses the mean of the sentence (celui qui fait une bÊte de soit mÊme se débarrase de la douleur d'être homme)

4. harbottle Senior Member

Melbourne
    Australia; English
    Hi,

For my part, I don't see anything special in that (rather strange) sentence aside from its literal meaning.

5. kike_d New Member

ok merci.. c'était pour une dissertation :p

6. marcolo

marcolo Senior Member

Bordeaux, France
    France, french
    maybe "celui qui s'abaisse à la condition d'un animal, se débarasse de la souffrance d'être un homme"

I concur with harbottle, this sentence is quite strange, I think that I over-translated, because I introduced some meaning to a sentence without meaning ;)

7. ludman New Member

French - France
    Celui qui devient une bête (sauvage) se débarrasse de la douleur d'être un homme

I think this is it in the beginning of the french version of the movie Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

8. Maikrod New Member

French
    "Celui qui se transforme en bête se délivre de la douleur d'être un Homme" Dr.Johnson

Don't forget the "H", because it doesn't mean the gender here but a human .

@ludman : This one is the real french translation from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas/Las Vegas parano (Fr)

9. J-Snow New Member

francais
    Celui qui fait de lui-même une bête se débarrasse des douleurs d'être un homme