1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

healer

Discussion in 'English Only' started by nikkieli, Mar 24, 2007.

1. nikkieli Senior Member

Bulgaria
    Bulgaria, Bulgarian
    Hi, everybody!
    I have a very special task to do. I have to translate the name of a clinic into English. "Healer" is the Bulgarian word for the name of the clinic, but I am not satisfied with the 'healer' name. The main reason is that the Bulgarian for healer sounds natural to me and has connotations that the English 'healer' doesn't have, I mean the word itself sounds differently in both languages. Would you please suggest a decent name for a clinic, having something to do with healers, medical care and patients' well-being? This could be one word or two or more words; something that will please the ear of a native speaker.
    Thank you all in advance.

2. Old Novice

Old Novice Senior Member

Massachusetts
    USA, English
    It might help if you could let us know what the connotations are that do not exist in the English word.

3. AngelEyes Senior Member

English - United States
    "Healer" in AE carries a very New-Age, metaphysical connotation. I imagine there are some of those out there offering alternative medicine. They'd be called something like Holistic Healing Centers.

Mainstream health facilities are often called:
    1. Medical Centers
    2. Healthcare Centers
    3. Family Care Groups

Are you looking for a fictional name of a place for your project?

Some suggestions:
    1. Total Healthcare Center
    2. (insert city name) Medical Center example: New York Medical Center

More context, please! :)

AngelEyes

4. nikkieli Senior Member

Bulgaria
    Bulgaria, Bulgarian
    Well, the Bulgarian for healer is 'lechitel' and the root of the word means 'a medicine' and the suffix 'el' is equivqlent to 'er' in English. So far, nothing different as the morphemic-semantic component is concerned. We, Bulgarians, seem to find a nostalgic undertone in this word, I mean the way 'lechitel' sounds. As there's no way I know the implications 'healer' conveys through the mere combination of the sounds I am asking you to tell me if 'healer' sounds respectable and adequate enough for a clinic.
    I hope I have been clear enough. Thank you again.

5. nikkieli Senior Member

Bulgaria
    Bulgaria, Bulgarian
    Are you looking for a fictional name of a place for your project?

Some suggestions:
    1. Total Healthcare Center
    2. (insert city name) Medical Center example: New York Medical Center

Thank you, Angel Eyes,
    Yes it should be a fictional name. I think your 2nd suggestion would not be possible because in my city there are probably over 50 medical centers. I'll give you some of them: AlphaMedicus, MediCare, St George Medical Centre, Medicus, Astra Medea,Millenium, etc. Mine has to be different, naturally. I just thought that I could use 'healer' or a part of the word to appeal to foreign patients.

6. la reine victoria Senior Member

I suggest "health clinic", Nikkieli. The word "healer" has too many connotations of spiritualism and alternative therapies (as I believe AngelEyes mentioned.)

LRV

7. AngelEyes Senior Member

English - United States
    nikkieli,

If I understand you, you'd like to have a name of a medical facility that has the word "healer" in it. That exact word would not be used in AE to denote a typical place to visit the doctor.

As I said before, the word "healer"carries a spiritual, holistic aspect to it. That is becoming more common here in America, but it's not mainstream yet.

Stick to the word, "Healthcare" instead. It's a very acceptable word and it's used often all over this country.

If you're looking for the BE word, you might get a different answer.

I hope this helps.

AngelEyes

EDIT:
    I just read LRV's answer. I like the plain and simple "Health Clinic" too.

8. Old Novice

Old Novice Senior Member

Massachusetts
    USA, English
    For reasons AngelEyes explained, "healer" has connotations that you probably do not want associated with a medical clinic. You could try Aid or Succor, perhaps. The shortage of responses may be because here clinics tend to be named after a person (a generous donor or an honored doctor, for example) or for their location.

9. la reine victoria Senior Member

How about "St. Luke's Healthcare Centre", after the physician of the Gospels?

LRV

10. AngelEyes Senior Member

English - United States
    Or possibly this one:

Health & Healing Center

An actual one in my area is called, "Family Wellness Center."

AngelEyes

11. nikkieli Senior Member

Bulgaria
    Bulgaria, Bulgarian
    Thank you all for the exhaustive and helpful answers, now I understand perfectly why 'healer' is somewhat awkward, as was my initial apprehension. Then, how about "(name of the city) Healthcare Center"?

12. AngelEyes Senior Member

English - United States
    Sure, that one works. All these latest suggestions would work, in my opinion.:) You could also use the name of the road/street it's located on and add that to the name of the place.

One thing, though:
    Is your target audience American or British?

Centre - British
    Center -American

AngelEyes

13. nikkieli Senior Member

Bulgaria
    Bulgaria, Bulgarian
    European, I'm afraid, Angel Eyes. Closer to British than American pacientele :))

14. eli7

eli7 Senior Member

Tehran; Iran
    Persian; Farsi
    My question is about the word "healer" too.

I was listening to a tape, and I could recognize this sentence:

The more our overworking takes over, the more we make Scrooge look like a stand-up comic. Indeed, instead of being "healers" we become heels....heels without souls.

What is the meaning of "healer" here?