1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

healthcare vs health care

Discussion in 'English Only' started by rafanadal, Jan 20, 2009.

1. rafanadal Senior Member

Asti, Piemonte
    ITALIANO
    When is it better to use "health care" split?
    For example, talking about a facility, I understand it is preferable to write "Health Care Home" instead of "Healthcare Home".
    In other cases healthcare, one word, seems to be preferable.
    Or is it just my personal deduction?

2. Matching Mole

Matching Mole Senior Member

England, English
    I don't think it's a matter of choosing one or other according to the situation. The word is common in either spelling, which mean the same thing, but I think inconsistency (say within a document, or a website, etc.) looks careless. I would choose one spelling and stick to it.

There is a possible ambiguity in "Health Care Home" and such ambiguities tend to arise with complex nouns like this: is it a healthcare home or a health care-home? But what is a health care-home anyway? I think the risk of misunderstanding is minor, and although Healthcare Home eliminates it, to change your regular spelling from health care to healthcare just a fix a single phrase is a cure worse than the disease.

3. rafanadal Senior Member

Asti, Piemonte
    ITALIANO
    Thank you for your answer.
    A Health Care Home" is a facility whose realization is in the pipeline and which will provide health services to people living outside city centers. An average Italian province will count on 5/6 to 10/12 HCHs. Their basic goal is that of easing the pressure on Emergency Rooms in Hospitals where the crowding is often unjustified and inappropriate. They are meant to be a decentralized health care reference point throughout the territory.

4. bibliolept

bibliolept Senior Member

Northern California
    AE, Español
  5. rafanadal Senior Member

Asti, Piemonte
    ITALIANO
    Thank you.