Hebrew magical square in "Dictionary of the Khazars"

Discussion in 'עברית (Hebrew)' started by Beurne, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Beurne New Member

German - Austria
    Dear forums,
    Hello, glad I found you. Forgive my bothering you with my first post, but there's something that struck me and won't let go until I decrypted it.
    I am reading Milorad Pavic's fantastic book "Dictionary of the Khazars" right now (in a German translation) and while doing so stumbled upon a "magical square", as I would describe it, that consists of Hebrew letters (in the entry describing the jew Samuel Koën).
    There is no translation provided in the book and I could not find anything online, so I tried decrypting it via Word symbols and Google translator, but I haven't gotten very far. If any of you would be so kind to tell me the meaning of the letters in the square (there are probably several ways of reading it), I would be very grateful.

samuel koën.jpg

2. Diadem Senior Member

USA (English)
    The sum of every column, as well as the sum of every row, in that block, is 65. Obviously, using Gematria, many words can add up to 65. But, one notable word is אדני which indeed adds up to 65 using Gematra: א is 1, ד is 4, נ is 50, and י is 10. אדני, which most say translates into English as "lord," "master," is used as a substitute for pronouncing the Tetragrammaton.

P.S. All the symbols in the squares are just letters of the Hebrew alef-beit ("alphabet"). The Hebrew language does not actually have separate graphemes that represent numerals (like English, which has 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.). Instead, Hebrew letters also represent numberals.

3. origumi Senior Member

Hebrew
  4. Beurne New Member

German - Austria
    I see, thank you very much. Now I just need to make sense of that in the context :p