1. WARNING: The forums will close for maintenance for 30-40 minutes starting at 10 am US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 4 pm in most of Europe).

he'd always led with his chin

Discussion in 'English Only' started by LV4-26, Mar 21, 2005.

1. LV4-26

LV4-26 Senior Member

Hello there,

What does "lead with one's chin" mean to you exactly ?
    I have a few ideas because I googled it but I found nothing in the dictionnaries.

Thanks in advance
    Jean-Michel

2. Helicopta

Helicopta Senior Member

Kettering
    England - English (Learning Spanish)
    Hi Jean-Michel,
    This expression refers to a boxer who's not very good. Normally, depending on whether a boxer is right handed (orthodox) or left handed (southpaw) you would say "he leads with his left/right". The leading hand being the "jabbing" hand, saving the other, stronger arm for the heaviest punches. To say "he'd always led with his chin" means that he always left his chin sticking out, inviting his opponent to knock him out.

3. LV4-26

LV4-26 Senior Member

Hello Helicopta,
    Thank you very much. I'd only gathered the figurative meaning of this expression. I've seen it many times on the internet used for other people. And it seemed to mean : somebody who acts more according to his instincts than to his wits.
    The context I have does refer to a boxer.

4. try3remember New Member

English - Australian
    The word chin means foreshortened or abreviated. It is applied to the physical lower jaw in the human and some other primates because of the truncated form of lower jaw as opposed to most mammals. The expression 'to lead with (his) (her) (their) chin' is to deliver a short cut. This can include an 'upper cut' as in boxing, a 'cut over' or 'coupe' as in fencing, a 'cut off' as in finance or any other number of variations. It implies that you come very close to your opponent or to your risk stratagem in order to deliver a killing blow. The danger is that if you miss you are yourself vulnerable. It has the implication of an all or nothing play. It has various alternatives in cards but in five hundred I think it is a bid 'doubled and vulnerable' or somethiong of the kind.

5. sdgraham

sdgraham Senior Member

Oregon, USA
    USA English
    Welcome to the forum try.

Around here, however, I've never heard the expression used in any way other than provided by Helicopta.