1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Heissa! / Heißa!

Discussion in 'Deutsch (German)' started by Gareth, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Gareth Junior Member

United Kingdom
    UK, English/Welsh
    I came across this when reading a comic strip in German the other day. I'm assuming that it's an interjection, if that's the term I'm looking for- something which would be shouted out rather than a word with meaning in itself. I'm assuming a scharfes S is used, although I couldn't tell as the text is all in caps.

Any ideas? The context is one of jubilation / good cheer. "Heißa! Dann gibt's Geschenke!" If someone else was reading Strizz in the FAZ last week, they'll probably know what I'm talking about.

2. Ralf Senior Member

Dresden
    German
    Your assumption is correct. It is an exclamation to express high spirits, joy and delight or some sort of thrill of anticipation. To me it seems rather old-fashioned--at least I can't remember ever having used it except for deliberately making fun of it. ... Okay, google will contradict! Mor than 60,000 hits for "Heißa!" or "Heissa!", but many of them referring to older sources (children's songs, nurcery rhymes etc.) or to quotations where it is used just for the effect of itself.

Ralf

3. cantante Senior Member

Bavaria
    Germany, German, English, Spanish
    Hi Gareth,
    just to confirm. Yes, it´s an old-fashioned exclamation of joy. Synonyms would be "Hurra" or "Juhuu". I know the term from an old German Christmas song.

Cantante

4. Gareth Junior Member

United Kingdom
    UK, English/Welsh
    Thanks for the confirmation, both of you!