Help identifying language

Discussion in 'Other Languages' started by kreddy, Oct 9, 2013.

1. kreddy New Member

English
    Hi all,

Can anyone help me identify this language?

Was found on a friends car today but no one seems to know what language it is ... if anyone could help would be greatly appreciated!
    translate.jpg
    many thanks in advance

2. arielipi Senior Member

Israel
    Hebrew
    Greek? I see a pie.

3. Crimson-Sky

Crimson-Sky Senior Member

بلاد بابل - Babylonia
    Arabic-العربية
    Definitely not Arabic. An ancient language maybe ?

4. ayed

ayed Senior Member

Riyadh
    Arabic
    It is not Arabic.
    It seems to be Hindi

5. akhooha Senior Member

English - USA
    It's not Hindi either. Nor is it any written language that I've ever seen. Looks to me like some lunatic's scribbled attempt to imitate a "foreign" script. Do you mind saying under what circumstances you came across this?

6. kreddy New Member

English
    A friend found it written on his car in permanent marker .. we thought the joke path may be correct .. however if you look carefully there is a lot of detail there and the characters are very consistent ... throughout

7. Wolverine9 Senior Member

American English
    It's unclear what language this is. The direction of writing seems to be left to right if that helps to narrow down the possibilities.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  8. SaladLover New Member

Arabic - Palestine
    It's not Arabic, that's for sure. If you look a bit carefully you'll realise that all the alphabets are mainly just one straight line edited upon. Some of them look like The Rod of Asclepius and one of the characters looks like an edited version of the eye of Horus. . The language is probably not semitic. I don't think that it's any recent language.

If you have any history of how you got it, or who showed it to you, you might be able to search is up. Like, if you found it, where do you live? Perhaps you've unearthed an amazing discovery, check out the history of the area you found it in, maybe it's related?

I hope you find out what it is! Wish you the best of luck.

9. akhooha Senior Member

English - USA
    What prevents a mad graffiti vandal from being detailed and consistent?

10. Wolverine9 Senior Member

American English
    If it was found on someone's car then it's probably vandalism. If your friend is a native speaker of a "foreign" language, perhaps the miscreants were attempting to mock his or her native tongue with gibberish.

11. marrish

marrish Senior Member

اُردو Urdu
    In my childhood we used to make up our own speech by adding extra syllables inside existing words but also we used to make our own scripts. Now that I know more than my native language, I am sure it does not represent any of the known standard ones. Any Indian script is also excluded or even an imitation, unless very poor. Howgh.

12. ESustad Senior Member

Washington, DC
    English - (Minnesota)
    They are block characters, definitely not any kind of handwriting. There are consistent elements, some of which appear to be ideographic, but I've never seen any script like this. I suspect someone invented it. It would take a fair bit of effort though.

13. rajulbat Senior Member

English - United States
    It has some similarities to Brahmi, though some of the letters are flipped and some are not in the script at all. I think it's a prank/made-up script.

14. L'irlandais

L'irlandais Senior Member

Dreyeckland/Alsace region
    Ireland: English-speaking ♂
    I agree. Vandals generally aren't known for their intelligence? It's not a script in my opinion. The second line (for example) contains what appear to be "an eye" (I) followed by "an nose" (knows) and various other arty-type smilie characters.

15. Cenzontle

Cenzontle Senior Member

English, U.S.
    If it's a fake language, it's a convincing one, because of the consistency and repetition of "characters". The writer has written these characters before, and is not making them up spontaneously for this text.

16. WannaBFluent

WannaBFluent Senior Member

Français
    seems to be gujarati to me

17. fdb Senior Member

Cambridge, UK
    French (France)
    maybe you could tell us what it says?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  18. WannaBFluent

Français
    i'd love to but i dont speak gujarati brother i'm sorry. i just recognized the kind of the letters and i personnally think that it seems to be gujarati more than hindi or punjabi or even sanskrit.

19. akhooha Senior Member

English - USA
    Nonsense. These scribblings bear no resemblance at all to Gujarati, nor any known alphabet. It's pretty clear they're just demented scribblings...

20. WannaBFluent

Français
    well i would say that it seems to be gujarati but see in a mirror (reverse). the first letter seems to be a 'sa' in reverse. and the first letter in the second line looks like a 'la' in reverse too. but whoever wrote that, he must have parkinson or something lol