Help with comprehension of a "real-English" article

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Ibo81, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Ibo81 Junior Member

Slovak
    hi, i have encountered this article http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2012/may/28/inner-vision-orchestra-blind-musicians-tour

there is written this:

Khosroujerdy's parents considered their blind daughter to be a punishment from God. They beat her and forced her into a marriage with a man who already had two wives, though the four of them did not all live in the same house. "It was a very unhappy situation," she recalled. "Whenever I was depressed I would sing to myself but it was impossible to imagine I could sing in public."

how should I understand this?: ...a man who already had two wives, though the four of them did not all live in the same house...
    isn't there a typo? how can there be FOUR wives of TWO? if it is OK, can you explain me the meaning?
    thanks

2. RM1(SS)

RM1(SS) Senior Member

Connecticut
    English - US (Midwest)
    My guess: The man, his first two wives and Khosroujerdy - four people total.

3. heypresto

heypresto Senior Member

South East England
    English - England
    The man already had two wives when the daughter was forced to marry him. So now he has three wives. Three wives plus the man himself makes "the four of them".

Cross-posted.

4. Ibo81 Junior Member

Slovak
    ah so, yeah that's it... if there hadn't been "of them" then it would have been clear to me at once... this formulation is quite confusing