hemen yanıbaşındaki

Discussion in 'Türkçe (Turkish)' started by EthanThorn, Jan 27, 2013.

1. EthanThorn Junior Member

English - American
    Hello, I am having trouble translating a passage from a book (printed in 1956):

11 Şabat Cumartesi günü Pendik'teki inzivasının hemen yanıbaşındaki mezarına kadar onu takib edenler arasında siyaset ve ilim arkadaşlarında, eski mumurlarından, yetiştirdiği yüzlerce talebeden kimseler yoktu.

Attempts with Google translator give me "located on his doorstep" or "close at hand", but I'm lost as to how to translate that. "Around the doorstep of Perndik's solitude" just doesn't sound right.

Thanks for any help...
  2. Reverence Senior Member

"Right next to" or "right beside" is what you're looking for. You can use "retreat" for "inziva", so it should be something like:

Among those who followed him to his grave right next to his retreat in Pendik on Saturday, February 11th, there were none of his friends in politics or science, his former employees, or hundreds of students he trained.

Hope that helps.
  3. spiraxo

spiraxo Senior Member

turkey, turkish
    Hi EthanThorn,

Sometimes it can be difficult to find such common expressions in dictionaries. "Assuming" that you understand Turkish, I am suggesting you the following dictionary.

Please see following link in the Dictionary of Contemporary Turkish (Güncel Türkçe Sözlük) of TDK. You should try both keywords, baş and yan, to find the expression in the passage. The results of each keyword search are shown under the heading Birleşik Sözler (Compound Words) in red letters.
    Yanı başında

Hope it helps in your future translations.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  4. EthanThorn Junior Member

English - American
    Thanks a lot for the translation and the tips! As a relative newcomer to Turkish, it certainly is hard to tell if something is a fixed phrase or an unusual case specific to that context. I'll be sure to check that dictionary in the future.
  5. SARI7

SARI7 Junior Member

"inziva" here figuratively means home. Therefore it says "right next to his abode in Pendik..."