Here you are / Here you go / There you are / There you go

Discussion in 'English Only' started by majlo, Oct 26, 2006.

1. Hello,
    When somebody asks you for something and you give it to them, which expression is correct or, perhaps, more common? Here you go or There you go?
    Thank you in advance :)
  2. Nullomore Senior Member

English (USA), Cantonese (Hong Kong)
    Both are okay. I would probably choose to say "here you go" because it makes specific reference to the thing that I'm giving you "here." You can say "there you go" in other situations. For example, someone asks you a question and before you have a chance to answer, he figures it out by himself. You can say "Well there you go, problem solved."
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2012
  3. Hockey13

Hockey13 Senior Member

Irvine, California
    They both seem pretty interchangeable. I suppose I would use "there you go" mostly if I'm giving someone something and it's really helping them get if I'm fixing their bike and I've just finished. However, in a store setting, it would usually be followed with, "That'll be $100."
  4. Iadam Member

Can you say "here you are" when you give something to someone? or in which situations is it used?
  5. Hockey13

Hockey13 Senior Member

Irvine, California
    Yes you can. Sounds somewhat BrE to me, but it's interchangeable with "here you go."
  6. Aldo Rossi Member

What is the different between "Here you go" and "There you go"?
  7. JessieRugg Member

If you are using these expressions when you are giving something to another person there isn't really a difference. To me, "here you go" sounds a little bit nicer, though it all depends on the tone of voice, and both could sound very nice if said in a nice tone. You could also say "here you are".
  8. Porteño Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    British English
    Personally, I would prefer 'here you go' but as JessieRugg says, there's practically no difference between the two.
  9. SpanishStudent_39 Senior Member

USA (English)
    First, it's helpful to know the difference between "here" and "there".

"Here" usually refers to something that is close or nearby, like something in your hand.
    "There" usually refers to something that is more distant, like the house across the street or an airplane in the sky.

You can say "here you are" when you are handing something to another person, or if you are showing something (that is nearby) to another person. For example, a waiter might say "here you are" when he hands you a plate of food you ordered or shows you the desert tray.

"There you are" usually refers to a something farther away, although it can often be used interchangeably with "here you are". If you are showing someone the building they were looking for and the building is a few blocks away, you could say "there you are".

You can say "there you are" when someone else finds what they were looking for. You can also say it when someone else is presented with evidence that proves you correct about something. Let's say you tell someone that the Eiffel tower is 324m tall, and the person doesn't believe you. If you both meet a renowned architect who agrees with you, you could say "there you are", meaning "there's the evidence".

You can also say "there you are" when you find someone that you have been looking for. If that person is close to you, you could also say "here you are".
  10. perfavore Senior Member

Philippines - Tagalog

You have to use difference not different in this kind of sentence.
  11. Porteño Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    British English
    Great explanation SpanishStudent 39, but rather out of context with the 'here you go'/'there you go' expression frequently used by shop assistants, which has little to do with the normal usage of 'here' and 'there'.
  12. SpanishStudent_39 Senior Member

USA (English)
    Actually, "here/there you are" does have a lot to do with the respective meanings of "here" and "there". Remember that "here" and "there" are often interchangeable in the same way as "here/there you are". But I agree with you that "here you are" and "there you are" are interchangeable in their common usage by shop assistants.
  13. Porteño Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    British English
    I fully agree that 'Here you are/there you are' has a lot to do with 'here' and 'there', but we are discussing 'here you go/there you go, which is quite different.
  14. SpanishStudent_39 Senior Member

USA (English)
    There are some contexts where "here/there you are" and "here/there you go" are quite different. But when said while handing something to someone else, they are interchangeable, right? "Here you go, there you are, there you go, here you are."
  15. Porteño Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    British English
    No, I don't think so. 'Here/There you go' are most commonly used in stores (impersonal) whereas 'Here/There you are' would most likely be used on a personal basis. At least that's the way I see it. Perhaps it's different on the other side of the ditch.
  16. Sandra723

Sandra723 Member

Kiev, Ukraine
    ok, what if "there you go" has nothing to with handing but used as an exclamation. what does it mean then?
  17. owlman5

owlman5 Senior Member

Hello, Sandra. I'd have to see more context to be sure, but "there you go!" as an exclamation can mean "Oh, no. There you go again, rambling on about something that nobody wants to know".

In a different context, it could mean "You have the right idea": Were you referring to Dylan Thomas? There you go. That's exactly what I was talking about.

As is true of many phrases, context is vital for figuring out the meaning.
  18. Sandra723

Sandra723 Member

Kiev, Ukraine
    yeah sure thanks, here you go:): I was talking to the person I used to know on icq. We chatted about my moving to the US and when I negatively answered his question if I ever dreamed to come here, he exclaimed : "There you go!" (it felt like he did not expect that answer...)
  19. gquixote

gquixote Senior Member

South Africa
    "Here you go" is slightly more intimate and nurturing in my opinion.

"There you go" is more confident and encouraging.

The difference is very subtle though. I tend to use the two expressions interchangeably.
  20. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    "Here you go" and "There you go" sound AmE to me.
    I (BrE speaker) say "Here you are" and "There you are."
  21. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    No matter where you go, there you are :D
  22. gquixote

gquixote Senior Member

South Africa
    Yes. I usually say here you go or there you go ironically, with a slight american accent.
    Here/there you are is more sincere for me.
  23. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
  24. LV4-26

LV4-26 Senior Member

When I first went to England, I was 12 and here you are, LV was what I heard most often from the mother of the family.
    (she had another favorite phrase, which was here's a good boy, but that's another story).

All details accurate except she didn't call me LV.
  25. sound shift Senior Member

Derby (central England)
    English - England
    OK, we won't press you on that. :D
  26. Pertinax

Pertinax Senior Member

Queensland, Aust
    "There you go" is well established in Australia. My late grandparents on holiday from England were highly amused when a waitress delivered each plate of food with the greeting "There you go". They said that it sounded like a nanny addressing three-year olds.
  27. antobbo Senior Member

italian, Italy
    Hi there, I have a quick question on the difference between "here you are" and "here you go".
    If somebody asks for something, say I am ask to email a colleague a spreadsheet. I will email him the spreadsheet and I will say, in this case, "here you are, spreadsheet attached". I have always thought that that was the correct way, and that "here you are" in this case couldn't be replaced by "here you go/there you go" which is instead used in different context (say for example your little daugther is pestering you all the day long to buy her an ice cream, when she start nagging you again you'll go like "here you go again, stop nagging me!").
    But instead, I seem to understand that the 2 expressions "here you are" and "here you go" are synonyms if used, for example in the email context I have just described. Is that correct?
  28. Grady412

Grady412 Senior Member

United States
    English - US
    Antobbo, this is my opinion from an American English point of view: in business situations, I find Here you are far superior to Here you go. If a client were to send me an email requesting a particular document, I would respond saying Here you are when sending the document, not Here you go. In my opinion (and some may disagree with me), Here you go is too informal to use in this situation. If, however, a colleague asked if I had a dictionary (as an example), I'd give it to him or her and say Here you go.
  29. I would like respectfully to ask you an inquiry here, which is as follows: Are these two expressions(Here you go or There you go)AE? Because I know the similar of them in BE is "here you are" and "help yourself".
  30. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    "Here you go" means something like "This (/ what you wanted / what you asked for) is available to you now" or "You can take this now".

I would not say "spreadsheet attached" after "here you go", and if "spreadsheet attacted" is necessary, I would not say "here you go".
  31. Echo7 Senior Member

Can we use "here you are" in a situation like the following conversation or is it only used when handing over something to someone?

A:May I ask you something?
    B:Here you are
  32. Porteño Senior Member

Buenos Aires
    British English
    I don't think that would be correct. Of course, this type of expression is very personal and so there are no rules attached, just common usage.:)
  33. Echo7 Senior Member

Is it very unusual to use it in such situations?
  34. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    Hi, Echo7.

I don't think it fits the situation given. What do you think it would mean in that context?
  35. Echo7 Senior Member

Why it doesn't?!

A asks if she/he could ask some questions perhaps and then B wants to invite A (or give him/her the permission)to speak by saying here you are, ask what you want ...

I don't know if I made myself clear, but I hope so
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  36. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    Here you are/go and there you are/go are for transferring something from "here" (me) to "there" (you). But when you extend an invitation or give permission, nothing is being transferred.

You might say "You are welcome to" in that situation, but "You're welcome" by itself usually refers to something already given.
  37. Echo7 Senior Member

Thanks Forero, very good explanation
  38. Phil-Olly Senior Member

Scotland, English
    The "go" versions always sound to me as if they have (or may have had in the past) something to do with enabling the person to whom you are speaking to get going.

"I can't get your car to start"
    "You have to hold down the clutch. There you go!"

"You didn't give me my boarding pass."
    "Oh sorry - here you go!"

Of course expressions soon get dissociated from their origins - so many of us now use "here you are" interchangeably with "here you go" and the same with "there you are/there you go"
  39. tutti1991 New Member

<<Moderator note: Welcome to the Forum tutti. I have merged your thread with a good previous discussion on the same subject. I found it by entering "there here you go" into the search box at the top of each page - Rule1 of the forum is "Search first". Please review the discussion above this post and have a look at the Guidelines in the first stciky thread of this forumfor other guidance.>>

I still do not understand the difference between the phrases "here you go and there you go." And in what contexts does one use these phrases?
    Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2013
  40. cyberpedant

cyberpedant Senior Member

North Adams, MA
    English USA, Northeast, NYC
    I'm afraid you will have to supply us with the context, tutti1991. Without anything specific, both phrases mean the same to this AE native.
  41. tutti1991 New Member

Okay. I hear these phrases a lot at diners. For example, the waiter brings the food and says "there you go or here you go" when he places it onto the table. What exactly is the difference? It is not formal, is it?
  42. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    Welcome to the forum, Tutti. :)

Can you give us an example of a sentence using such a phrase? or describe a situation where you heard one of them used? (I, too, would say they're often interchangeable.)
  43. tutti1991 New Member

Thanks Parla:) I just gave one above your post.
  44. cyberpedant

cyberpedant Senior Member

North Adams, MA
    English USA, Northeast, NYC
    They have no difference that I can distinguish. And they're both quite informal. I wouldn't expect a waiter to say this.
  45. lucas-sp Senior Member

English - Californian
    Well, maybe a diner waiter...

In general use (when used in terms of presenting a physical object to someone), the two phrases are interchangeable. Perhaps there are some specific contexts in which one is preferable to another.
  46. Parla Senior Member

New York City
    English - US
    I agree with Cyberpedant (post #6). I would not expect to hear this from a server in a restaurant.
  47. PaulQ

PaulQ Senior Member

English - England
    "Here you go; There you go; Here you are; There you are; Here it is; There it is/etc." are all the same. They have no real meaning. It is just something to say as you are being served.
  48. Myridon

Myridon Senior Member

English - US
    It's very common in my experience of restaurants in the parts of the US that I have lived in.
    In general, the difference is in the speaker's perception of whether the indicated object is "here" (nearby the speaker) or "there" (away from the speaker). One waiter may consider all items destined for the customer to not belong to the waiter and are therefore "there" so he always says "There you go." Another waiter may consider that everything is inside the restaurant is "here" so he always says "Here you go." Another waiter may think of things that are in his hand as "here" and things already set down on the table as "there" so he might say either sentence. In a restaurant, all the things are relatively close together so there's no effective difference.
  49. JustKate

JustKate Moderate Mod

Really? I hear "Here you go" a lot. "There you go" is, as far as I can recall, considerably rarer in this situation. I can't say I've never heard it, but I'm sure I don't hear it very often.

As for the difference, in this situation, there really isn't one. "There you go" does have meanings that are distinct from "Here you go" - for example, it's sometimes used to mean "I told you so" or "That proves my point," e.g.:
    A: I don't care for George. He's got a cruel sense of humor.
    B: Yeah, he made fun of Pat's weight the other day.
    C: There you go.

But in the rare instances when it's used by a waiter, the meaning is about the same as "Here you go," that is, "Here is what you asked for."
  50. JulianStuart

JulianStuart Senior Member

Sonoma County CA
    English (UK then US)
    <<Note that tutti's question has been merged with a previous discussion (at Post #39)>>