1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

here you are

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by afx, Mar 7, 2013.

1. afx Senior Member

slovak
    你好

Could you please tell me which character is used when giving something to someone in the meaning of "Here you are".
    Piniyin should be (although I am not 100 % sure of this ) na4.

谢谢你的回复

2. xiaolijie

xiaolijie MOD

UK
    English (UK)
    Hi afx, "here you are" and "na4" are not the same thing, so tell us exactly what you want to know.
    :)

3. afx Senior Member

slovak
    Hi xiaolijie,In Pimsleur Mandarin course there is na4 used when something is being given to someone (they explicitly state in English that it means "Here you are") , like this one:

- 有 你 的 信。
    - 信﹖ 是 谁 写来 的﹖
    - 我 不 知 道。 吶

On transcript of this course, character 吶 is used. This transcript is unofficial (there is no official Pimsleur transcript to compare with) and contains lots of bugs and in dictionary 吶 is mentioned to mean something different (battle cry). So either there is an error with character and some other should be used instead of 吶, or am I missing something else?

4. BODYholic Senior Member

Singapore
    Chinese Cantonese
    Actually, there isn't a meaning for the word you are seeking. To me it's just a sound, which happens to be common among many Chinese native speakers, made to attract the attention of the receiver. And I write it differently from what you were taught. It's "嗱". So your sentence may sound like this, 我不知道是谁写来的。嗱,拿去吧!

In Singapore, we also say "nor" but I do not know the Chinese character. Example, "Nor! 你的信在这里。".

5. xiaolijie

xiaolijie MOD

UK
    English (UK)
    afx, in the context you gave, what is translated as "here you are" is not really a word, so a number of variations (of sounds) can be used by native speakers.
    (But if you're really looking for a common way to say "here you are" when giving something to someone, you could use "给你!")

6. SuperXW Senior Member

Here it's just a sound to make someone else to pay attention. :D

-There's a letter for you.
    -A letter? Who wrote that?
    -I don't know. Na! (Say it when handing it to the guy, meaning "Here!/Take it!")

7. zhg Senior Member

Chinese
    Agree. It's common to say "nou" to give someone or something attention, here in Shanghai and I think the character might be 喏。

8. SuperXW Senior Member

I agree. 喏 (nuo4/"nou"/"nor") is another common sound with this meaning.

9. BODYholic Senior Member

Singapore
    Chinese Cantonese
    At first, I thought it was just some strange sound that only we understand it. So it has a proper writing and I guess it must have been brought over by our great Ancestors from China in the early days.

Thanks. :)

10. Youngfun

Youngfun Senior Member

Pekino, Ĉinujo
    Chinese/Italian - bilingual
    In online dictionaries there is both (marked as Cantonese) and (marked as generic "dialectal").
    In my dialect we say /næ/ (na as in nap) with 1st tone.
    I didn't know that similar n- sounds were also common in other Chinese dialects. In Mandarin, I would say “给你” or “拿去”, as others above said.
    But I'm still surprised that it's included in a Chinese course.