1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Here's a quick sample of what you're in store for

Discussion in 'Polski (Polish)' started by Baltic Sea, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Baltic Sea Senior Member

Polish
    Witam ponownie!

Chciałby spytać was czy angielskie zdanie "Here's a quick sample of what you're in store for" znaczy po polsku "Oto krótka migawka tego, co was czeka".

Moim zdaniem spodziewałbym się "Here's a quick sample of what is in store for you", ale nie będę pouczał anglosasów.

Dziękuję. Źródło: Zasłyszane w internecie.

2. R.O

R.O Senior Member

Polish
    Jeśli chodzi o wyrażenie ze słowem store to oba są używane, z tym że to drugie jest znacznie częstsze. Mógłbyś też użyć tutaj what you're in for.

3. Baltic Sea Senior Member

Polish
    Dzięki bardzo, R.O.

4. dreamlike

dreamlike Senior Member

Poland
    Polish
    Ja na przykład kiedyś się nauczyłem "what lies in store for somebody".
    Można jeszcze powiedzieć "what the future holds for somebody" i pewnie kilka innych rzeczy, których teraz nie mogę sobie przypomnieć.

5. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Baltic, where did you take this expression from? It may also mean something else in a different context. Was it from an ad (in what country?), or did you make it up, or your friend? Doesn't Anglosas refer to Anglo-Saxon*, not British? I know it is widely used by Poles this way, but is it correct? I have been wondering about this for a while. Going back to your original question, could you kindly post a link to the text where you found this expression.

* It is really the fourth meaning of the world in English as well (related to English culture heritage) -- it just sounds strange in the context you used it (as English-speaking people). It is not used this way in English anymore, this is why it perhaps seems very strange to me in Polish. I would think they spoke Anglo-Saxon. :D

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  6. Baltic Sea Senior Member

Polish
    I cannot do it. The rules of the forum forbid stating any video (youtube) materials. I would be severely reprimanded by the moderators. It's a comment from the interviewer.

7. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    What kind of interviewer? In which country? Was it related to any kind of store, or something else? It can also be metaphorically used.

8. Szkot Senior Member

Edinburgh
    UK English
    Ten kundel celtycko-anglosaski też spodziewał się "Here's a quick sample of what is in store for you".

Drugi wariant nawet określałbym jako błąd, choćby nierzadki.

9. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Yes, I agree. The idiom is: what is in store for you. I was thinking that perhaps they were talking about a real store -- in relation to Christmas shopping, or something like that. In order not to spend too much on useless things, you have to remember what you are in the store for. ;)

10. Baltic Sea Senior Member

Polish
    No, LilianaB, it had nothing to do with shopping. It was an interview with Justin Hayward, leader of the Moody Blues.

11. R.O

R.O Senior Member

Polish
    That's a strange rule. But anyway, every impractical rule can be circumvented. Simply tell us the title of the video on YouTube and we'll find it.

I was also thinking about a real store but we'd need the video to determine that.

12. LeTasmanien

LeTasmanien Senior Member

Gmina Karczew, Poland
    English British
    The meaning is very clear in the 1st sentence as provided by Baltic Sea. Because the speaker did not use the definite article "the" he was not referring to a particular store/shop.
    Omitting to use definite or indefinite "a" articles is a very common error made by people from a Slavic background when speaking English.
    Native speakers never do it.

The 1st variant in the original post, also the title of this thread, is gobbledygook! :)

13. Baltic Sea Senior Member

Polish
  14. LilianaB Senior Member

US New York
    Lithuanian
    Yes, I guess, it means what you should expect -- just a variation on what we have in store for you. I don't think anyone in the interview spoke any Slavic languages, unless I missed something. It is true that many speakers of languages other than English mix up the article use from time to time.

15. Baltic Sea Senior Member

Polish
    Now you see that I did not think it up. I must admit, LilianaB, that learning to properly use "an", "a", "the" is not a piece of cake. On the contrary, it is a hard nut to crack.