1. The WordReference Forums have moved to new forum software. (Details)

Here's hoping...

Discussion in 'English Only' started by terrortwilight, Sep 26, 2007.

1. terrortwilight Junior Member

South Korea, Korean
    As seen in this sentence:
    ex) Here's hoping this is false information and it's just a server problem.

is the phrase "here's hoping...." used to imply that the speaker is merely stating his/her own *humble* opinion? More like "I for one hope that..."? Then why use 'here' instead of 'I'?? Curious...

Thanks ;)

2. Joobs Banned

In a house
    Glasgow, Scotland - English
    Not quite. It is more a general comment than a personal one. I suppose the closest would be "Let us (all) hope" or simply "Hopefully". Usually it is used to signify that you hope for better news that which has been stated (the information proving false that it isn't just a server problem in your example).

3. Trisia

Trisia mod de viață

București
    Romanian
    I guess you might be right... still it's not something I'm familiar with.

Could you please provide more context? Are you certain that the speaker is referring to himself? (He's hoping would make much more sense :confused:)

4. cheshire

cheshire Senior Member

اليابان
    Catholic (Cat-holic, not Catholic)
    Don't you think "Here's hoping..." is less pushing one's hope than "I hope..."?

5. nzseries1

nzseries1 Senior Member

London
    New Zealand - English
    "Here's hoping" is (as far as I know) just an expression which means "you and I both (or all of us) hope". It just conveys the idea that "clearly it would be good for all of us if..."

6. Don't the phrase mean that the speaker hopes something will happen?
    here's hoping
    informal —used to say that you hope something will happen ▪ Here's hoping (that) it doesn't rain.

7. pickarooney

pickarooney Senior Member

Provence, France
    English (Ireland)
    I'd agree with nzseries1. It's a general, 'let us all hope' kind of thing, much like the here's used in a toast.

Incidentally are there any other verbs that allow this construction (besides 'Here's looking at you, kid')

8. "Here's hoping ..." can be used to say that you and someone else hope something will happen, can't it?

9. Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    Perhaps you are trying to make it too structured and too rule-based. It is an informal expression.

The original post could equally have been a computer technician saying "I hope this is ...". Instead, he pushed himself back from the desk and said "Here's hoping ..."

"Our football team has lost the last 5 matches. Here's hoping/I hope we win next week"

"Our grandson is just cutting a new tooth. Here's hoping/we hope he doesn't cry all night"

They are interchangeable in normal day-to-day speech. If the computer technician was writing a memorandum to whoever reported the fault he would be better to write "I hope that this is false information ..."

10. ajb110 New Member

English
    The phrase is actually "here's to hoping..." and I feel like the "here" part of it is more like "here, here" like what you say during a toast. Almost as if you are toasting the idea.
    So "here's to hoping we win next week" is like toasting to a future victory, but in a context where nobody toasts with drinks.

That's my guess of it anyway.

11. natkretep

natkretep Moderato con anima

Singapore
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    No, I think the approving noise that people make is 'hear, hear' (rather than 'here, here') meaning 'listen to this': it's in our dictionary -

12. Gwan Senior Member

Indre et Loire, France
    New Zealand, English
    Well, I've never heard "here's to hoping" in my life, so I was surprised to see it does get a lot of relevant Google hits - perhaps it's more used in America. As to "here, here", Wikipedia (for one EDIT: and natkretep for two) backs up my opinion that the correct version is "hear, hear".

Welcome to the forums by the way!

13. Andygc Senior Member

Devon
    British English
    ditto

ditto

ditto :)