herewith or hereby

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Whodunit, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

กรุงเทพมหานคร
    Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    When writing a formal petition or something like that, would you prefer to use "herewith" or "hereby" in for instance:

I declare herewith/hereby that ...

I reckon that "hereby" is more common in such contexts, especially in "I hereby declare you man and wife". However, I'd like to hear your opinions. :)

2. GenJen54

GenJen54 Senior Member

Downright Pleasant, USA
    USA - English
    I would use "hereby" as I believe its usage is more common in American legal-ese.
    For example: I hereby decree that the WR Forums are the greatest forums on the planet.

Here is an example from an actual legal contract:
    Notwithstanding any provision in the Agreement to the contrary, the parties hereby agree that the following provisions shall apply and shall control over any contrary provisions therein:

I have never used "herewith" as a substitute for "hereby" even though its second meaning is the same as "hereby."

Instead, I use "herewith" to mean that something is enclosed.

I am herewith enclosing the requested documents regarding....
    The requested documents herewith are part of the proposal package.

3. panjandrum

panjandrum PongoMod

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    In their most common (but not really) forms, they are quite different.

Herewith = along with this;
    Hereby = by means of this.

I don't use either.

4. Whodunit

Whodunit Senior Member

กรุงเทพมหานคร
    Deutschland ~ Deutsch/Sächsisch
    Thank you two very much. :)

I knew that "herewith" has another connotation, but I was more referring to the second one, which doesn't seem to be used so often. So, my institution was right. ;)

5. justchecking New Member

English
    I know this is an old thread, but just for the record Whodunit, I am wondering if you meant to say "institution" or "instincts"

institution =
    Noun
    1. A society or organization founded for a religious, educational, social, or similar purpose.
    2. An organization providing residential care for people with special needs.
    Synonyms
    establishment - institute - foundation

Instinct =
    Noun

1. An innate, typically fixed pattern of behavior in animals in response to certain stimuli: "predatory instincts".
    2. A natural or intuitive way of acting or thinking: "rely on your instincts".

It is possible you meant to use "institution" if you are informing us of an organization you are affiliated with, but my "instincts" are that you did not. :)